Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike sat all winter (live in the Arctic) and we’re now having the temperatures where driving would be phenomenal. The issue I’m having? Bike won’t start and I need some recommendations; what am I forgetting to check? Not doing properly? Any advice would be appreciated. When I turn the key, all she does is crank: sounds like it wants to catch, just not doing it.
So here’s what I’ve done and checked: tons of fuel, tank was left full for storing. Fuel line has been switched to the on position. Air intake is free of any snow and air filter is brand-new. Battery has been installed and I’m attaching a “sure start” so it doesn’t drain while trying to turn her over. The engine “stop” is in the on position and the bike is in Park. Checked the spark plug and all seems to be in order (took it out and inspected it), placed it on a nut and turned the bike on; lots of spark. I’ve checked the exhaust and all seems to be in order; pressure.
When I crank the bike, I see the fuel slowly dripping into the carburetor and there appears to be a small build up. After cranking a few times I noticed a small pool of gas on the ground. After further inspection, the fuel seemed to be coming out of the exhaust (directly under the heat shield. There’s a join there and I’m assuming this is where the excess fuel is coming out because it’s not being burned? So when the spark plug was removed for inspection, I turned the engine over a few times just to blow it out. I even tried pouring a little gas into the plughole it’s self and the bike then sounded more like it wanted to start.
Anyways, I’m getting a little frustrated here. Is there a kill switch somewhere I’m forgetting about? Seems like it…. Any advice I can find here would be amazing. Just want to make sure I cross all myT’s before (if I have to) bring her into the shop.
Thanks In advance so any who can help.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have you tried starting fluid? Some water may have settled in carb and froze up partially. Could try taking a heat gun or hair dryer and carefully warm the carb up for awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about trying the hair dryer method. The only thing that bothers me is the gas slowly dripping down into the carb. Could there be a freeze in the fuel line perhaps? And in regards to using a starter fluid; are you suggesting spraying it directly into the air intake?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking about trying the hair dryer method. The only thing that bothers me is the gas slowly dripping down into the carb. Could there be a freeze in the fuel line perhaps? And in regards to using a starter fluid; are you suggesting spraying it directly into the air intake?
Something is blocking the flow. Is the vent line clear as well?

sb

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was thinking about trying the hair dryer method. The only thing that bothers me is the gas slowly dripping down into the carb Could there be a freeze in the fuel hose perhaps? And in regards to using a starter fluid; are you suggesting spraying it directly into the air intake?
Yep just pop off the air filter and hold the throttle open and give it a spray, it will help to rule out the ignition system if it starts then stalls. the filter or hose could have froze too, can try taking the line off and see if there is flow.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like either the carb has water in it and is frozen, the pilot jet is plugged, or there is bigger issues. If you are getting gas out the exhaust, check your oil level. Maybe the carb overflowed while in storage and filled the case up with fuel and you are cranking it out the valves into the exhaust. I would start there and with a carb cleaning and see where you are at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll head out now and pick me up a can of starter fluid. If that fails? Out come the tools.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts