Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a engine oil change on my 2013 Polaris sportsman 500 H.O. And I was just wondering if there is an alternative to using genuine Polaris oil. I think it takes something like 2w-50 or whatever, can't really remember though. I haven't changed the oil in a year and I've barely used it since I have my 850 and dirt bikes so the poor 500 just sits there.

Anyway, what brand can I use in this that's safe but not as expensive as Polaris oil? I've used nothing but Polaris oil but at $10 a quart, it's getting expensive. Also, I'll have to clean the oil tank screen and I may have to change the engine coolant. I haven't done that yet, and the wires, pivots need lubrication. The driveshaft yoke could use some grease.

The suspension is really creaky and squeaky. I guess that could use some lube as well. The brake fluid is still really clear but full so that can stay till later this year. Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
0w40 Mobil 1 at Walmart. About $25 for 5 quart bottle

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40
Rotella T6 5W-40
Castrol 5W-50
Amsoil 0W-40 Powersports Oil

Basically any synthetic 0W-40, 5W-40 or 5W-50 will work great.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mobil1 0w-40 synthetic and a NAPA gold filter.Good stuff and way cheaper.Thats all I've ever used. Never bought a drop of the Polaris oil. The filter number for my 07 700efi is 1357 but it might be different on your 500. They can look it up for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thank you for the fast replies! :) I'll go with one of those, probably the amsoil or Mobil 1. Just making sure, is using automotive oil safe in these engines? (I read somewhere it can sometimes harm the engine but, it may be safe after all).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to state, it will be ridden in the sand and mud. Here in Missouri is gets around 100 degrees so I wouldn't think that would effect what oil weight I use. I'll be using it all year around so will the 0W-40 be good in hot and cold temperatures?
If so, I'll get the Mobil 1 0W-40

·
Registered
108 Posts
Synthetic automotive oil is fine for your machine. Just use the right weight. 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50 will all work. Like I said, I have been using the Mobil1 0W-40 for years on several different machines, and have had no issues. They all ran great. ATV's with standard and semi standard shift transmissions need ATV specific oils.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Automotive oil is fine to use in your engine. The biggest difference in ATV/motorcycle oils is that they lack friction modifiers. Since many motorcycles and ATVs share the oil with both the engine and transmission, they have a wet clutch which can slip if an oil with friction modifiers is used. Polaris ATVs have separate oils for the engine and transmission and do not have a wet clutch, so automotive oils that contain friction modifiers can be used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Synthetic automotive oil is fine for your machine. Just use the right weight. 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50 will all work. Like I said, I have been using the Mobil1 0W-40 for years on several different machines, and have had no issues. They all ran great. ATV's with standard and semi standard shift transmissions need ATV specific oils.
Ahh ok, I wasn't doubting..I just wanted to make sure before I change the oil, lol. And yeah true, I mean if I put auto oil in my dirt bike it could be a disaster with the clutch. Anyway, thank you for the input. I'll get some 0W-40 later today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Automotive oil is fine to use in your engine. The biggest difference in ATV/motorcycle oils is that they lack friction modifiers. Since many motorcycles and ATVs share the oil with both the engine and transmission, they have a wet clutch which can slip if an oil with friction modifiers is used. Polaris ATVs have separate oils for the engine and transmission and do not have a wet clutch, so automotive oils that contain friction modifiers can be used.

Awesome, thanks. I forgot about that friction modifiers. I should've known that haha. I always use Valveoline in my truck but I guess Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic is good.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You do not have to clean the screen. I have never heard of it being dirty and they are a pain to get out. Go to Wal Mart and get your oil of choice and when you are there pick up either a Pure 14610 or 14612 oil filter. Either one will work on your machine. Don't forget on the 500 you have 2 places to drain the oil. One is the tank and one is the sump on the motor that holds about half a cup.

Ronnie

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You do not have to clean the screen. I have never heard of it being dirty and they are a pain to get out. Go to Wal Mart and get your oil of choice and when you are there pick up either a Pure 14610 or 14612 oil filter. Either one will work on your machine. Don't forget on the 500 you have 2 places to drain the oil. One is the tank and one is the sump on the motor that holds about half a cup.

Ronnie
Thank you, I'll have to get the oil filter from my local dealership though. Where exactly is the second drain bolt on the motor?
I couldn't find it last time.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You do not have to clean the screen. I have never heard of it being dirty and they are a pain to get out....
Where exactly is the second drain bolt on the motor?
The sump drain is under the engine BUT i don't recommend draining it from that location.

Warm up oil, drain from oil tank, replace bolt. Start engine for ONLY 10 seconds, shut down, remove oil tank drain bolt again allowing to drain and replace oil filter then drain bolt. Got this idea from OPT (an old polaris tech on ATVConnection) that got it from a Polo engineer. Works great, EZ and you won't need to perform the Crazy "priming" procedure. Luck & Enjoy! :cowboy:

·
Registered
980 Posts
It is on the bottom right side of the crankcase. Look from your foot break and its hiding behind the prop shaft. Have found it is easiest to lay down and reach up from the left side of the bike when putting the plug back in...at least for me.
How do you do it TXRonnie?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is on the bottom right side of the crankcase. Look from your foot break and its hiding behind the prop shaft. Have found it is easiest to lay down and reach up from the left side of the bike when putting the plug back in...at least for me.
Ok awesome, I may try the procedure that jgue498 said, it seems easy. But thank you for letting me know, at least I know where it's at now lol.

The sump drain is under the engine BUT i don't recommend draining it from that location. Warm up oil, drain from oil tank, replace bolt. Start engine for ONLY 10 seconds, shut down, remove oil tank drain bolt again allowing to drain and replace oil filter then drain bolt. Got this idea from OPT (an old polaris tech on ATVConnection) that got it from a Polo engineer. Works great, EZ and you won't need to perform the Crazy "priming" procedure. Luck & Enjoy! :cowboy:
Sounds good to me, I'll try that. I bet it's easier than trying to get to the sump drain. Thank you:)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Same way. I just lay down and reach up to it and put it back in the same way.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Ronnie
Thank you, I'll have to get the oil filter from my local dealership though. Where exactly is the second drain bolt on the motor?
Why do you have to get the filter from the local dealer? Just get a filter from Wal Mart if you will be there getting the oil.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the filter myself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any thoughts on older machines as mine is a 2004 500 HO. It's 28 miles for me to drive to Polaris dealer; Napa's only 5 miles away. I've always used Polaris oil; however, I would like to switch to Napa if possible. I just don't want problems as we use the machine everyday. Which oil would the forum recommend for my late model 2004?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40 Is very common for people to run and also to get at most stores.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts