Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2013 sportsman 500 with only 48 hours on it. I changed the break in oil at 20 hours and I've ridden it fairly easy since new. I went to check the oil today and it's reading just barely above the "add" mark. I put in two quarts when I changed it and drained the motor too. Any reason why it would be reading low? I just feel like it should be right on the money with only 48 hours on it. Is it possible it's using oil already? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My 06 is the same way. Reads just above the add mark and always has. If you used a filter that is a little longer than the stock one that will also show oil level a little lower. By the way POPO does not use a break in oil. They use the same oil you buy off the shelf. Did you put POPO oil back in it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just recently changed the oil for the first time in my 2013 Sportsman 500. I first checked the oil level and it was barely over the lower limit as well. I drained the oil sump as well as the lower crank case, filled it with the recommended 2 quarts, ran it for a couple minutes and checked the level again. It was still just above the lower limit. I was going to top it off but I didn't have any more oil so I'm just going to leave it for now. I'll check again after a few more rides to see if it maintains the current level.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
'10 sportsman 500 oil change

I just changed my '10 sportsman's oil for my first time (had 42 hrs and 332 miles when i got it), oil screen was clean, magnetic plug had small debris and oil didn't look too bad. drained sump also and did the funky clamping of oil hose, that is a weird feeling to start it up that way. Any way added 2 quarts as stated, started ran a minute or so then checked level and it only read between the upper/lower marks, so your's being on the low end isn't too unusual. I guess polaris aims for the middle mark with 2 quarts, so if i want to fill to top mark i have to open another bottle! errrr.... :damnit:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
All of my bikes read full. I check mine after they have sat over night. If I start them first they never read full. Who knows

1 - 13 of 13 Posts