Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if there is any way to unhook the on demand 4wd on the 07 sportsmans...tired of being in 2wd and it slamming into 4wd automatically when im screwing around

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
it shouldnt be "slamming" in 4wd...first thing first is do you know 100% the correct pure polaris brand oil is in there...

kinda agree with denseleit here, something sounds wrong

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its done it since brand new and ive had it serviced by the dealer so i would assume it would be the correct fluid. its not really a slam but its like it forces itself into 4wd when the front wheels aren't turning or or they are moving slow. a couple times it has tried to kick in when the back wheels are spinning and the fronts aren't and it almost sounds like i break a drive shaft.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i understand why that would be frustrating but something isnt right with your machine. had on 05 sportsman 450 spinning donuts on my icy road and never kicked into 4wd, had the back wheels spinning the whole time. same exact 4wd system as you have. try talking to another dealer, you have something wrong going on in the front end.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd pull the front diff and check the cage yourself..mabye check some tolerences..Oh yeah, I just remembered reading somewhere if your front driveshaft if bent a little it may engage 4wd too..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i guess ill just have to check with the dealer or find something out myself. if i dont figure anything out ill post again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
think i figured it out. drained old fluid and put new in. i just tried it out for a little bit in the yard and hasnt kicked in yet...gotta get it out for a little longer sometime soon and actually see if that fixed it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let me know If this cured the problem! I just noticed yesterday (2005 400 sportsman) when I was on the ice in 2x4 when i pinned it that the back tires would spin then about 1 second later the front tires would engage with a clunk! Is it suposed to do this? In AWD all 4 tires spin at the same time! I am sure that when in 2X4 it should only be 2 wheel drive!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thats how mine started to go, very soon your cage will explode. U should pull the diff. and check the cage and armature plate. Armature plate should be flat with only a little wear marks from contact with brass contact. Its actually quite an easy job, out and in in a couple hours. When working properly, the front wheels should kick in in less than a third of a turn....smoothly..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats how mine started to go, very soon your cage will explode. U should pull the diff. and check the cage and armature plate. Armature plate should be flat with only a little wear marks from contact with brass contact. Its actually quite an easy job, out and in in a couple hours. When working properly, the front wheels should kick in in less than a third of a turn....smoothly..
I don't think You understood me it clunks in when the switch is on 2x4 when it is on AWD it works properly!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts