Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran about 250 miles this weekend. Had a BLAST!

Day 1
I ran about 100 miles, 1-up. Mixed trails and some road riding to get from point A to Point B. About 50 miles into ride, finally blew my original belt (15 years aint bad) and I wish I would have changed it sooner. MUCH quieter now, better throttle more speed etc etc, EBS even works better.

Day 2
Rode about 150 miles. Got towed about 30 of them about a 10 hour day on the trails. ALL 2 up.
After about 6 hours of trail riding it began to overheat after 5 miles or so. First 6 hours everything went smooth. Rock climbs, a few mud holes, not many and none over the footwells. Lots of MTN climbing in hours 5 and 6. When it over heated, I sprayed some bottled water on the RAD and idled until it cooled, then continued. If I took it easy, I could go 10 miles, if I rode hard, 5 miles or so, then rinse repeat the overheating. A few times I rode for a little while with it hot, out of necessity, to get to a better spot. NO LOSS of performance at all.

After several over heats I eventually pulled the reservoir cap and added a little water (while cooled down) and it only took a couple ounces, so I was not out of fluid. Fan operated, and system cooled down after a few minutes of sitting idle. So I feel like the 'system' is functioning.

SO, I am trying to figure out what to look into.

Q1 Is it possible it is as simple as the radiator just got real dirty and ist cooling as well?

Q2 Is it likely that its simply a temp sensor? or a thermostat?

Q3 Do I need to look into the FAN/Blades? Maybe the motor is bad and not cooling enough?

Q4 Time to replace the radiator, thermostat etc?

I am going to get some things disassembled later this week and cleaned out, just looking for previous experience and opinions.

Specs
1999 Sportsman 500 4x4 EBS, NOW has 1150 miles. I know every mile. First 650 miles were all in the front yard so to speak, no trails, dirt or mud, rest of miles are on mixed trail riding.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i'd make sure the radiator fins are clean first, then check the fan operation.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Most common cause of overheating is mud/dirt clogging the fins of the radiator.

Sean

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope it isnt as simple as mud/dirt.

Only because it got a good cleaning before this trip and we hardly hit any mud. This will be a continued issue if it isnt something else :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas of what the CFM is on the OEM FAN or anyone know where to get that info?

Aftermarket fans look like they are 440CFM, just wondering if that is an upgrade or not.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone ever replace the fan/motor?

Any suggestions on how hard of a job this is?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts