Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.
I’m considering buying a used Sportsman 500 that looks and rides decently but the owner doesn’t know much about the machine. She doesn’t know the year and the odometer looks to not work so doesn’t know the mileage. Says there’s no problems she knows of. I’ll post pictures. Anyone able to identify it or notice any red flags?
I took it for a short ride- I noticed slight clicking-like noises at slow speed towards the rear of the atv. From other posts, sounds like it could be the CV joint. If so is that a dealbreaker? How much are those to fix (if I tried to do it or if a mechanic did it)?
The current owner did say that this past weekend her daughter drove it while she wasn’t there and “got it stuck in gravel and they pulled it away with their truck.” Turns out it was just that the front parking break was on! I don’t think it cause problems- the things stops well. But the owner said the noise wasn’t there before this incident.
Any thoughts about value or if I should walk away are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Sportsman 700, 2004 Scrambler 500, Various Others.
1,300 Posts
What do they want for it?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
The vin has been scratched out and it has problems. I’d steer clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the speedo does not work, the AWD doesn't work unless it's been monkey engineered to bypass the speedo - I'd offer $1000 for the parts.
mom. I want a wheeler that I can really use and move logs/firewood with and tow things with, so if 4 wheel drive or awd isn’t going to work, that wouldn’t be a good thing for me. I didn’t know the 4x4 was tied to the speedometer. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Do you know for a fact that she owns it? Thats a pretty big price drop and with no vin I’d be wary that it was stolen…

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the rear Axles its a 98 or older ,the U joints are easy to replace if that's where the clicking is .
The brake lever is for all brakes not just the front .
Do they have the owner ship/title ?
Speed could be a easy fix too.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,302 Posts
Hello. I’m new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.
I’m considering buying a used Sportsman 500 that looks and rides decently but the owner doesn’t know much about the machine. She doesn’t know the year and the odometer looks to not work so doesn’t know the mileage. Says there’s no problems she knows of. I’ll post pictures. Anyone able to identify it or notice any red flags?
I took it for a short ride- I noticed slight clicking-like noises at slow speed towards the rear of the atv. From other posts, sounds like it could be the CV joint. If so is that a dealbreaker? How much are those to fix (if I tried to do it or if a mechanic did it)?
The current owner did say that this past weekend her daughter drove it while she wasn’t there and “got it stuck in gravel and they pulled it away with their truck.” Turns out it was just that the front parking break was on! I don’t think it cause problems- the things stops well. But the owner said the noise wasn’t there before this incident.
Any thoughts about value or if I should walk away are appreciated.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Newtopolaris500

·
14,990 Posts
Date of mgf. looks to be 96 so its either a 96 or 97 model. The 10th digit of the VIN which is stamped in the lower frame rail behind the left front wheel tells you the year model. A clicking rear cv is no big deal really. It may run for years with it clicking or it can simply be replaced for around $100.
The 4x4 can be jumpered to work if the speedo isn't functional. Or find a good used speedo. Here's a link. Or it could just be the speedo cable or the drive adapter on the tranny that's bad. Can't know until you look into it.
3280172: Search Result | eBay

Looks like the tires are ok. In today's market, around $850 to $1000 would be reasonable if it runs good other than a few minor problems.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,302 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Polman is right,they are stamped in the frame,but see if you can find that stamp.If not,for sure pass on it. If it is hot, and they are new to the "business", maybe they are unaware of the permanent #.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts