Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
runs super,serviced only 1000 miles,but once I ride for that usual few minutes (quicker on hot days) the fan kicks on like sportsmans love to do but usually kick off and on a lot, but my 02 500 comes on and just stays on! Once the engine "overheat" light came on.. but I poped the cap right off no spray,boil, nothing,nothing going into the overflow,it seems to stay the same place(the overflow level) it does seem hot ,like hoses etc. but as I said at anypoint i can pop the radiator cap right off and it is just sitting there,not like its under preassure or anything...any ideas what to do 1st?? PLEASE HELP!:crying::frech: and if I shut the machine off and turn the key on for the fan to keep running ,it takes about 3 minutes to shut off,just thought Id through that out there,incase it helps in anyway.....THANKS GUYS!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The engine temp.sensor(ETS)or engine coolant temp sensor(ECT)might be bad.That can make the fan stay on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do they make a smaller (sooner opening) thermostat ?
everything I checked,and did test as manual (real polaris manual)
and everything is fine,as it says but as we all know with sportsmans them fans come on and off like blinking your eyes! thats why when it just comes on and stays on,I havent left the yard affraid it will blow a gasket or something.... anyone have anyother input feel free! I really need my machines :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
this problem could possibly even be the rad cap, if it is overheating there should be some pressure obviously. pressure will raise the boiling point. possibly the water pump, head gasket, etc. you need to use some other way like a temp gun to determine if it is actually overheating or not. these components like hose will be quite hot to the touch under normal conditions so its not accurate to judge like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its not "overheating" I can stick my finger right down the radiator cap spout.. as the fan is running,BUT the only thing i found is under the red cap the little plastic green cap with the hole in it isnt there,somone took it out to probably top it off and never put it back,my other sportsman still has their inner green cap with the little hole,I always put it back,figure it must be there for a reason.But yes Im going to grab the temp stick,and after the fan comes on Im going to check temp,then shut it off turn the key back on till the fan shuts off,then check that temp. I'll be back with that info later,LET ME KNOW ON THAT LITTLE CAP IN THE OVERFLOW THOUGH??? THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
527 Posts
If the hoses are not warm that would tell me the machine is possible air locked. If this is the case jack up the front of the machine remove the radiator cap and fill with coolant. Then squeeze the hoses and see if any air bubbles come up to the top of the radiator. If it does keep repeating previous steps until coolant is circulating properly. Yes you should have the cap in the overflow bottle.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep on the list ;) I figure,it runs super sounds great etc etc. just that fan staying on was weird to me. So I started thinking of things I have to check and started the cheapest first,like the little green cap in the overflow bottle,i'll take out of my other sportsman,(with 300 miles on it) while I do my actual "temp" test throughout its starting,till the fan comes on, till it is shut off then turn key back on for the fan to finish its cycle till it shuts down. (the only time it shuts down"the fan" is after the 4 wheeler is shut off) then when I turn the key back on which is habbit...(on hot days) for the wheeler to finish cooling,where they are so closed in. But im going to document every change in temp from start to finish. will be back with results today,check back if you can later this evening ,Id like anyones input after having numbers,I know would help,I mean it would help myself if I knew,I was a mechanic for over 10 years till I couldnt do it anymore with my C.O.P.D./Emphazima I mean i still do everything I can phisically do,but not under a time limit,and sometimes with oxygen,so it sucks,like I did all the matinence on this 4 wheeler when it cam in ,the guy I got it from did his "yeah my guy went right through it" I knew better,but checked it over well to make sure it was clean and as sound as possible,then brought it home,went from top to bottom,oil,EVERY grease fitting..,did all fluids most people dont bother with,like hub oil,front and rear case fluids,all with polaris oils to spec. As I said with my condition I cant walk far distances so a break down for some dumb reason isnt a good thing,thats why I use just my newest one away from home right now,and want to be sure this one Im doing now is done before hunting seasons,and even the newer one with no miles on it barely Im not taking out in the woods to far away cause the selonoid went on the winch...it just dont end,but they are super when they work right ;) THANKS again guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts