Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought new aluminum rims for my 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 HO. Does anyone know the torque specs for the lug nuts and the center bolt? My research on google has said anything from 90 to 40 for the lug nuts but I can't find any specs for the center hub. I have some play in the wheels and I'm not sure if this is a sign to replace the bearings or if I just need to tighten the center hub.

Also, is there a sequence for the lug nuts?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This is what they are for a 2010:

Aluminum wheel nuts should be 90 ft lbs

Front hub 60 ft lbs

Rear hub 80 ft lbs

·
Registered
806 Posts
I torque the lug nuts to 45 ft/lbs. Too tight and it will strip the knurling out on the studs where they go thru the hub. As far as sequence, just go in a + pattern, top to bottom, then side to side. Hub nut specs from the Clymer's manual front 70 ft/lbs, rear 80/ft/lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I thought 90 seemed to high. I'll try 45. Hopefully tightening the hubs will take care of the play in the wheels.

·
10,595 Posts
Tightening the nut WILL NOT cure looseness in the front end. You need to look closely at ball joints, bushings, tie rods and wheel bearings.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I thought 90 seemed to high.
I was just quoting both my owner's manual and service manual on this although it does seem kind of high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand and thanks for the post. I just think 90 is high.

I will take a look at the bearings first. Hopefully it's an inexpensive fix. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are so correct, just tore down my 06 Sportsman front end for clunking noise and ball joints were scary - axles need help as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts