Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key to start it I get one strong spark from the plug and that is it. It will not spark again until I turn the key off and back on again but it still only provides a single spark...then nothing no matter how many times you let the motor turn over. This model has the "sure power" module as well as the CDI and coil. I'm thinking that if the CDI or coil were bad I wouldn't even get the single spark but I have never had experience with the sure power module before. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No Spark, Weak or Intermittent Spark
• Spark plug gap incorrect
• Fouled spark plug
• Faulty spark plug cap or poor connection to high tension lead
• Related wiring loose, disconnected, shorted or corroded
• Engine stop switch or ignition switch faulty
• ETC switch misadjusted or faulty
• Wire harness or connections wet, corroded or broken
• Poor ignition coil ground
• Incorrect wiring after repair (inspect color coding in connectors, etc.)
• Faulty ignition coil windings (measure resistance of primary and secondary)
• Sheared flywheel key
• Flywheel Loose or damaged
• Excessive crankshaft runout - should not exceed .0024”
• Faulty ECU
• Faulty CPS
• Low Battery

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
you could check the elctric throttle control but is it old enough that it has a rope-pull start. just turn key on and pull rope ,then check for spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. I did check all the usual and even the unusual causes for no spark. I have never had one spark just once on the first crank and no further, but then, this is my first experience with a model that has the "sure power" module in addition to the CDI and coil. It's like the module detects something on the first crank it doesn't like and shuts down. It won't spark again until I turn the key off and back on again, then just one single bright blue spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. I did check all the usual and even the unusual causes for no spark. I have never had one spark just once on the first crank and no further, but then, this is my first experience with a model that has the "sure power" module in addition to the CDI and coil. It's like the module detects something on the first crank it doesn't like and shuts down. It won't spark again until I turn the key off and back on again, then just one single bright blue spark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
spark issue

You have discribed my issue to a T. My 02 sportsman 500 ho will crank on pull start but will soon back fire and die. If i use the electric start it will flood the plug because there is no fire. The plug will fire once at the initial turn of the key.....and once more when you turn the key off. I have traced every ground and connection...all secure. Please help....how do i diagnose the actual problem....is it ignition switch, coil, stator, pulsar coil.???? I will re-post if I figure it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wire short

I replaced the pick up coil, but that did not help. I eventually unplugged my speedometer because I noticed a little corrosion inside of it. It fired right up after that. Obviously there was corrosion causing a short somewhere. Unfortunately for me my story doesnt end well. After it running great for a couple weeks I took it to a ATV park, ran it hard for a couple hours. Turned it off to take a break...and never got it back. Now i have NO fire...even on pull start. It could be a totally seperate issue. Im trying to determine if its the ign coil or the cdi box. The coil is showing close to what the manual states it should have in resistance, but not exactly. Same with the dc voltage for the cdi...i think. I think I might just push it off a cliff somewhere;):headache:

·
Registered
19 Posts
im having the same prob with my 00 sporty 500. if i hold the starter button on and turn the key on and off real fast i can get it to run and runs good. this only happened when my recoil blew up and took out my coil pulser. i checked stator and everything but i cant figure it out im going nutz. i take the plug out and it only sparks when the key is turned off, i changed the key ignition and still the same problem. supposed to b going to jackman soon i need this fixed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having a similar problem on my 1996 Sportsman 500 after running it without a battery.
Doing a little research on others with similar problems, i found a very informative article that may be of assistance, maybe even for some of the later models. check it out at:
1996 Polaris sportsman 500. Electrical problem. If the hub - JustAnswer

It has given a lot to go on with my situation, hope it helps others too. :veryhappy:

Thanks,
Allmudd2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you, I'm gonna try to disconnect the black wire on the cdi box to c if its my starter switch. Did u figure out anything with yours?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I fixed it. the coil pulsar got pushed away from the magnets on the flywheel when recoil broke. i pushed it back to spec and she runs like a charm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts