Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My atv will not crank over. Ran well days ago no can't get it started. Changed plug and still not turning over. Back fires once in a while. Open to advice. 2002 sportsman.

Mark

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Won't start

Pulled plug and got good spark. Seems like it is not getting any gas. What would be my next thing to do?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seen many times carb popped out of boot at the cylinder. Check there and If still no go pull the bowl off the carb and see if any crud made it in there

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carb

New to world of atv. Is the carb behind the plug? Just checking to be sure. I believe I found it but nt to be sure.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My atv will not crank over. Ran well days ago no can't get it started. Changed plug and still not turning over. Back fires once in a while. Open to advice. 2002 sportsman.

Mark
If it's back-firing it's turning over

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Carb should be under the seat between the air box and the engine. It will have a black fuel line running to it from the fuel pump. If you pull that line off the carb and turn the key, gas should squirt out of it (not just slow drip).

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
How is the gas flow to the carb? Does it spray out or barely trickle?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Back to the basics. If you hold the coil wire close to ground do you get a spark when you crank? Pull the plug and put it in the coil wire and crank it. you should get a strong yellow/blue spark across the electrode. Is the plug wet with fuel or dry? If you're getting a strong spark, put it back in the engine and spray some carburetor cleaner down the throat of the carb and crank it. If it fires for a second or two then you know the problem is fuel.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it idles for a second or two on the carb cleaner then you're not getting fuel. Float valve could be stuck closed, or the idle jet could be clogged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts