Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides a clutch kit when i add my 3in lift what else can i do to add power to the machine? i know with my oversize tires and a lift i will probably have a major power loss.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Apart from dropping in 850 motor there is not much you can do. I too have a 550. Mine has 26.5 rockers, QSC clutch, HMF pipe and HMF Optimizer, K&N filter and I cut a big as hole in my airbox. Other than the clutch kit, none of the other things gave me noticeable power increases, complete waste of money.

You know that sayin, "there is no replacement for displacement".

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
x2 on above. Nothing much out there to hop up an xp 550 or 850 for that matter that really adds power. With some cams and a bunch of motor work you can get power out of the 850, but you won't like the fuel bill to keep it alive. 116 is expensive!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The 550 is a work horse, not a race horse.
You want more power? Trade it it on a can-am 1000 or a XP850

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go with the 850 swap. My 550 motor is outrageously built, honestly nothing left to do to it (even custom internals) and I race it against 800s and 850s. Holeshot I was 3rd out of 9 but the 24v system helped a ton lol soon as we got into open fields, I might as well have put mine in park. I'll be trying to find a 850 later on this season do swap power plants.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is the 850 swap a direct replacement? I mean does it bolt up with no other modifications? Just wandering, because when I wear out my 550 i'd like to do this lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts