Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering buying a new Sporstman 570 and the dealer strongly suggested that I buy the new 550 instead. He said the 570 is just a punched out 500 and has the old frame and suspension. I realize that the 550 has power steering and upgraded frame and suspension but it is also considerably more money. I live in Salt Lake City and I can buy a 2013 550XP eps for $7200. Should I go with that or get a 570 for about $5400 instead? Why is the 550 so much more expensive. Are either made in the US?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The 570 is not a punched out 500. Find a different dealer if you can. that guy is selling you a line. The 570 is a prostar motor and the 500's were Fugi motors. Completely different manufacturers. If you compare the two machines 570 - 550, you get a lot more bike for a lot less money with the 570. The Suspension is really the only viable difference between the two. The 550 will be softer. But the 570's suspension is still very comfortable. The HP is only 2 HP difference between the two. The suspension travel is only 3/4" difference. You get built in storage on the 570 and you can get the EPS model of the 570 for less than the base non-EPS 550. He's trying to sell you up for a bigger commission check in his pocket and it's really not going to get you a better bike for the price. Both are good machines. but I'd go with the 570 if $ is a concern.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
If I were the one choosing between the two, I would go for the 570 with power steering. Not sure I would want to deal with a dealer who feeds you that line about a punched out 500. That raises too many red flags.

·
Registered
815 Posts
that extra 2hp is in the 570's favor too. I love mine to death. tons of power, and the "old fashioned" suspension does a pretty good job

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I sure would not choose between the 550 or the 570. I would choose between the 570 and the 850XP. If you going to spend the extra money go with the big dog and get the twin cylinder.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Listen I agree with what the guys have just said about the two bikes and the dealer. I will urge u strongly to question the dealer as to why he told mis information. And also get the power steering if u go 570. Either way u go both bikes are great. I'm really skeptical about the dealer either lying to u or just plan ignorant.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I sure would not choose between the 550 or the 570. I would choose between the 570 and the 850XP. If you going to spend the extra money go with the big dog and get the twin cylinder.
Agreed!

I will say tho, My dealer kinda said the same about the camo 570 on the floor when I asked about it. He wasn't to pleased they dropped the 500 and all I was there for was some spare keys and body rivets, so he wasn't trying to sell me anything.

I guess it depends on the market where you live what is preferred by those customers.

People will give there opinions all day long on forum's, The best thing to do is ride as many bikes as you can or at least sit on them to make your own decision.
At the end of the day the 570 is part of there value line and the 550 is the "premium line" But is it worth the difference????And to whom???. Also 2014 550's come with EPS,ADC and engine braking as a standard,The 570 does not. The 550 also has a higher payload and rack weight. So its not just that the 550 has more ground clearance and better suspension...

Go to a dealer web site and compare both models on paper they are different animals and that's why there is a cost difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
These guys are right about the 570 and 500 being completely different motors, your dealer is either misinformed or a liar. However, I have the 550, and one if my best friends has a new 570, and I like mine much more. There is a big difference in rude quality to me, you get engine breaking on the 550 and ADC, which I hated when I first got the bike and now love. Now the 570 is a little peppier, and it rides very, very good, just not as good as my 550. I suggest riding both bikes and seeing what you like. Both are great machines, and the little differences come down to personal preference between the two.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I LOVE the narrower seat of the xp like also. Its not like the value line where it feels like ur on a HORSE!(I think the 570 is still that way Ive yet to see one correct me if Im wrong)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Nope. Narrower seat on 570. Closer to an xp type seat than value line

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
My dealer was selling 570 and 550s at a very close price. EPS and non EPS models. For similar money the 550 is a better buy. 550 is a better ride. The XP chassis is an improvement over the value chassis. EBS and ADC standard, more travel and about even power for about the same money. I have owned a 550 and a 500 and the 550 was much better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I HAVE A 2011 550 XP EPS and I love it. I sat on a new 570 in the dealership and it is wider and much less comfortable than the 500. It may not matter much if you are a tall rider but it would definitely be less comfortable ride for me and would get worse the longer the ride.

try sitting on them both and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You've also got the XP frame that has known cracking issues, where as the Value line frame is rock solid. looking at the on paper difference the differences are nominal IMHO. But I don't trust the XP frame. Not a fan of the removable sections in crucial structural locations. but again, that's personal preference. There are slight ergonomic difference between the two, but compared to the rest of the Value line the 570 is more like the XP line. Every bike will be different for every rider, so it really depends on what fits you better. but for my money, I'd go 570 every day of the week.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Do you do any steep hill riding? If so, you will like the ADC... much better than just rear wheel only EBS IMO. The 550 has both. Ride both and make your choice.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I was considering buying a new Sporstman 570 and the dealer strongly suggested that I buy the new 550 instead. He said the 570 is just a punched out 500 and has the old frame and suspension. I realize that the 550 has power steering and upgraded frame and suspension but it is also considerably more money. I live in Salt Lake City and I can buy a 2013 550XP eps for $7200. Should I go with that or get a 570 for about $5400 instead? Why is the 550 so much more expensive. Are either made in the US?
If the 570 is that much less it seems like a no brainer.....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The price would be closer if the 570 had EPS. Doesn't the base 570 also lack EBS? The add ons like ADC, painted plastics, fancier rims do account for part of the $1800 difference in price. Not much different than a car. Whether you value them as options or not it is factored into the price.

EPS is standard on the 550's for 2014.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Still seems like a no brainer to me, I mean if you really want EPS it can be added for only a couple hundo.......HATE EBS

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nope. Narrower seat on 570. Closer to an xp type seat than value line

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
The polaris website states this. It might be one inch narrower but by no means close to the xp line. I went to the dealer for some parts the other day and sat on all three 2014 models (400ho,570, and 550). I dont even know why they advertise that. Its not a night and day difference by far

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thank you all for your comments. Maybe the dealer was pushing the sale of the 550 because he didnt have any 570's. I'll find a dealer that has both models on the floor so I can compare them at the same time. I bought a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI and a 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI last March and these were my first ATV's. Prior to that a lot of experience with 2 wheels so I still have a lot to learn about ATV's. Both of the Polaris's have been great and I'm now a ATV addict. Both machines have about 2500 miles on them and have been reliable so far. I did fluid changes on both bikes when I soon got them and checked them over pretty well. How long should I expect these models to be reliable? I need a third Polaris for friends and family to ride so I thought I'd buy a new one this time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you already have two 2007 bikes I would buy a 550. That way you can tell the real difference. A new 570 is not going to be that far apart from what you already have. Just imo.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts