Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from riding in the Adirondacks, rode over 200 miles! Had a great time just was very dusty. Are there any options on air filters. The stock ones don’t really clean even with compressed air. End up throwing them out and putting in new. At $35. plus a filter that get a little expensive. I remember my 2000 Sportsman 500 had a filter sock that helped. Are they available for our 2021 Sportsman 570 Premium’s?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You can use the OEM pre-cleaner. Part # 5811633

I'm surprised your machine doesn't have it. The same filter is used on many other models with the pre-cleaner.

You can look into a reusable filter. I like UNI 2 stage. I use one in my 570. I oil it with maxima FFT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
R2C are known to be excellent washable reusable filters.
That is next on my list, heard great reviews on them, only question is are they more restrictive? Any noticeable power loss? Because they do claim much better filtering than OEM, only way to get that is make things tighter/finer with more restriction... Is my guess?

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,841 Posts
That is next on my list, heard great reviews on them, only question is are they more restrictive? Any noticeable power loss? Because they do claim much better filtering than OEM, only way to get that is make things tighter/finer with more restriction... Is my guess?
Those were my thoughts to, but everyone that uses them say there is no power loss at all, and that they are very high quality. In my opinion you can get better filtration with a thicker cloth type media without reducing air flow, while allowing it to be washable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they really cheaped out on our 2021 570s! No filter sock, no A arm guards, no rear under seat toolbox and the cvt exhaust just seems like a cheap bad idea. I probably would have looked at other brands if I knew all that before we bought them. Other than that they are a lot of fun to ride 😁

·
Registered
542 Posts
Never knew Polaris stopped using a pre-filter (sock) on 450's and 570's must be a profit margin issue. I just bought a R2C filter and sock for $83.90 it's reusable and heard nothing but good things about them. btw the filter was $58.39, and the pre-filter was $25.51 all I can say is pre-filters are expensive as hell.💲💲💲💲

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use both the Uni filter and the R2C. I haven't noticed any performance decrease between either of them versus the OEM filter.

I think the Uni filter does a better job of filtering out the finer dust. The outer sleeve will be covered in dirt while the filter itself still looks clean. But the maintenance is time consuming. I usually separate the sleeve from the filter then soak both in mineral spirits to remove the bulk of the dirt and filter oil, then do a second mineral spirit bath because the mineral spirits gets pretty gunky with the first immersion. Then I give them a bath in warm water wash with Dawn dish washing soap, followed by a fresh water rinse then let them dry, which could take several days depending on the ambient temp and humidity level. Then they're ready to be re-oiled. Because of this I have several so I will always have one in the machine, one ready to be used and one in the cleaning process.

With the R2C it's simply a matter of shaking out the bulk of the dust, then blowing out the remaining dust with compressed air. When the filter media looks too dirty I'll give it the Dawn bath. They dry quite quickly. I use a nylon outer sock even though I don't think it does much given how much dust I see accumulate in the pleats of the filter. The sock gets the Dawn bath with every use.

I also use filter grease around the rubber filter frame where it mounts to the airbox to insure an airtight seal.

I've never seen any evidence of dust penetration through either of these two brands, unlike an OEM filter where I found dust inside the filter, even with no visible holes in it.

·
Super Moderator
16,283 Posts
LOL... Well, what they DON'T say is that for cost savings Polaris cheaped out on the 450/570 "economy" models and a prefilter isn't included as standard equipment on those "economy" models and therefore isn't "listed" as fitting your machine. That prefilter sock will fit most ALL modern Polaris atv air filters I'm aware of. If you want a prefilter on your machine simply get one and put it on your filter regardless of what Polaris may say. :unsure:

·
Registered
889 Posts

Polaris is not your only choice. I used these when my OEM sock got a hole in it. (Mouse)

D

·
Registered
7 Posts

Polaris is not your only choice. I used these when my OEM sock got a hole in it. (Mouse)

D
Thanks for sharing! Going to give these a try on my 570.

Cheers,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts