Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share my install of an HID headlight kit on the Sportsman 570, haven't seen anyone do it yet. Like many others, I ordered the Burke Motopros 5k slim ballast kit from Jim Burke off Ebay for $115 shipped, which was ordered Friday and delivered Monday (Cali to NC)! I went with the 3 slim ballasts for an extra $15 to ensure they can be neatly tucked away. As you will see in the pictures, I managed to secure all 3 ballast using industrial strength velcro under the fuse block cover without drilling any holes. The spot allows for easy routing of the wires, high and secure from elements, maintain "water tightness" of storage box and keeps it looking factory installed. Again, nothing drilled or altered during install! If you have any questions please let me know. Can't say enough good things about the service of Jim Burke, he has top notch service and products, truly plug and play!

As a side note, I originally tried the "Pure Polaris Xenon bulb kit" and you can hardly tell a difference, but there was an improved difference over stock. However, for $75 more you can have all three lights running HIDs!

Next step is to do the 3 light relay mod!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
How much less is current draw with the HIDs?

I had been looking at the Polaris LED kit which I am sure has an even lower draw but priced considerably higher than a HID kit. Not sure how light output compares either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had been looking at the Polaris LED kit which I am sure has an even lower draw but priced considerably higher than a HID kit. Not sure how light output compares either.

Honestly not sure of either answer, I have just always ran HIDs in everything I own for headlights, even working on a set for my Kubota cab tractor. The main benefit of HIDs over LEDs as you mentioned is price, LEDs are easier to install. The best person to ask for amp draw would be Jim Burke [email protected], unless someone else on here may know.

In case anyone is wondering, here is the exact kit I installed - can be bought in either 5k or 6k, I went with the 5k kit. Please note, this is for the 3 slim ballasts. Polaris Sportsman HID Factory Replacement Light Kit 5000K | eBay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks good now do the 3 light mod.. I am going to order the same kit soon..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Been looking into those for my machine. i run HIDs now, but ive never had any luck with HIDs, they always seem to go out on me, and with all the water and mud, im nervous about water getting in an causing corrosion. i think i will make the jump to LED when i get the $$

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hids draw 35watts per light, stock are 50 per light so you save 30 watts. You can get 50watt ballast. But the housings are kind of small for that much heat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't get the fuss over HID's. I've got two identical SUV's. One has the Factory HID's and the other has regular halogen. The HID's are a lot whiter but don't seem to make anything actually brighter. I don't know how to explain it but they have a sharp cut off beam that the halogens don't have. As for LED's I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison. Recently read a review of an Audi that comes with LED for headlights and the quote was that they just aren't ready for prime time brightness wise. At least on quad you could aim HID's higher to deal with the sharp cut off of the focused beam since oncoming traffic isn't as big a concern. I always wanted HID but was not impressed with being provided with any additional utility.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't get the fuss over HID's. I've got two identical SUV's. One has the Factory HID's and the other has regular halogen. The HID's are a lot whiter but don't seem to make anything actually brighter. I don't know how to explain it but they have a sharp cut off beam that the halogens don't have. As for LED's I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison. Recently read a review of an Audi that comes with LED for headlights and the quote was that they just aren't ready for prime time brightness wise. At least on quad you could aim HID's higher to deal with the sharp cut off of the focused beam since oncoming traffic isn't as big a concern. I always wanted HID but was not impressed with being provided with any additional utility.
The cut off is caused by the factory projector housings your SUV uses to help to not blind oncoming traffic. You don't have that issue with them on ATVs or other retrofits because you are using the stock halogen housing which has a wider beam. Down side is they are blinding if they are coming at you.

LEDs use next to nothing power wise which is very beneficial for us because ATVs have weak charging systems. They are also extremely bright for how small they are! The polaris set gets great reviews other then price.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Excellent thread. I think I will look into putting two of these on my 850. I think he has a kit for that. My Rotopax fuel tank blocks some of my pod light, so I use it rarely. Are you still happy with the mod?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Excellent thread. I think I will look into putting two of these on my 850. I think he has a kit for that. My Rotopax fuel tank blocks some of my pod light, so I use it rarely. Are you still happy with the mod?

My front rack extender blocks part of the pod light on mine too. Throws a shadow. I just don't use it. Thought about notching it but don't know if it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run those Polaris LED Headlights and couldn't be happier. Yes, they were a little pricey: but I'm a sucker for LEDs. Installation was a breeze and the harness kit did the "Three Lights" Mod for me. So now when the high beams are turned on I have low beams, high beams and the headlight pod turned on. Awsome. The current draw is much less and they are brighter than HIDs some of my buddies run. Plus they are not nearly as fragile as HIDs. I recommend them.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
The pictures aren't the greatest, they was taken at night during a snowstorm, but I hope it helps. The first pic is just the LEDs on Low and the second is with everything on High. You can really tell the difference between the LEDs and halogen bulb on the headlight pod.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts