Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd like to see the receipts and see how many times the dealer changed the air filter on said dealer services preformed.... By reading into his post he saying it's the OEM filter so it's probably the one that came with the bike brand new and has never been changed. Then the mice found it tasteful and useful as a home nest.

Every time you see one of these posts it just amazes me how nobody ever checks their air filter until it is totally collapsed and eaten from a rodent you got to wonder how many times they actually check their engine oil?
The air filter was changed at the 100 hour service, and before that it was changed at 50 hours service, all polaris filters changed at the dealership

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,306 Posts
The air filter was changed at the 100 hour service, and before that it was changed at 50 hours service, all polaris filters changed at the dealership
It all sounds so odd, the filter is backed with a metal screen right, how could all that come apart to the point of being injested by the engine.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,342 Posts
Were there any recent explosions in the area??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
the mouse ate the rubber and got under the dust cover and made a nice nest why else would the rubber be open
so the mice did a perfect cut on the metal, look at the cut pattern, it seems like it was cut with scissors, also there is no mice poop inside the filter box, or arround the unit, and/or the surrunding area wich by the way is my garage where 3 other vehicles are stored along with a 850 touring, no a single mice poop in the whole area, there is no mice, this damage was not caused by mice, i use the 570 every weekend, it does not keep stored for long periods as i always use the machines... i run with family and friends every single saturday, and some times even 2 rides a week... and i do long rides 7+ hours rides i put an average of 150-200 kms every ride...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
that line is where it was put together ill give you that it may have just came apart there, but the mice ate it
a lot of metal area is missing, this was sucked into engine, my think is the metal didnt hang the suction presure and came apart in a weak weld point then the whole filter started to fail and came apart, also it may have been a fail on the metal structure, because the cut pattern is very fine, it broke in such a perfect line, but also look there is a lot of metal missing, about 3 inches of metal are gone...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
how long was it run before you saw it, the metal would only take a couple of wiggles and it will break up, try it
it was run hard for about 3 hours, until it started to blow white smoke, then i pulled over, and started to check and thats when i opened the filter box and saw the damage... at that point, 1/3 of engine oil was consumed...

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Never seen anything like that! Almost looks like sabotage to me? I'd have to agree that I don't think a mouse could eat through and tear away the inner metal cage. Another thing that seems strange is that once the filter media was compromised, there would be significantly LESS flow resistance for incoming air to tear stuff loose and pull it into the engine..
Have you pissed somebody off lately that has had access to your machines?
I'd be closely inspecting all my other machines if I were you. Something just don't add up with that whole situation.
I doubt you're gonna get any coverage from Polaris on that but good luck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You'd be surprised at what a mouse can do. You're out of luck on any warranty though, I've never seen a warranty on an air filter unless it was aftermarket. I'm sorry though, that is not an air filter failure, never once seen that happen. I worked on big trucks most of my life and I've seen air filters, same construction, so plugged the engines wouldn't hardly run. They pulled enough vacuum they actually started sucking the air filter into the intake, but never once seen one come apart like that. The paper is the telling part, it was obviously chewed on, look at the edges along the bottom on the end away from the split....that paper won't just tear off like that....

Reactions: zipper77 and MrEd

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,306 Posts
I would research that some more I swear there was one other person that had a very similar problem where the metal mesh also came apart and was ingested.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,809 Posts
Type "mouse" in the search community tab above, 23 pages of mouse damage posts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Never seen anything like that! Almost looks like sabotage to me? I'd have to agree that I don't think a mouse could eat through and tear away the inner metal cage. Another thing that seems strange is that once the filter media was compromised, there would be significantly LESS flow resistance for incoming air to tear stuff loose and pull it into the engine..
Have you pissed somebody off lately that has had access to your machines?
I'd be closely inspecting all my other machines if I were you. Something just don't add up with that whole situation.
I doubt you're gonna get any coverage from Polaris on that but good luck.
Nobody has access to te machine, just my self and the dealership mechanic, so in that way, if the dealership mechanic did something to my filter, the dealership has to respond to me,.... anyways i need them to get my engine repair at no cost, and im truly think this is a bad filter that i got, maybe one in a million, but this is bad quality construction and it got into my machine and caused all this mess... i know this is a unlikelly case, but it is possible that a unit that has some defects and passed all the quality inspections at the factory and come all the way to the customer hand....

Also im thinking of an "old" air filter, that got old in some wharehouse and then into my machine and the materials got expired and this caused the airfilter to be less strong?? and this may caused airfilter to collapse?

·
Registered
780 Posts
You'd think there would have had to be a backfire in the intake to blow that thing apart and then it could suck some in but where is the aluminum cage and other pieces?? It should have blocked off the intake port and stalled the machine before and damage occurred.. I'm pretty stumped on this.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts