Polaris ATV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would research that some more I swear there was one other person that had a very similar problem where the metal mesh also came apart and was ingested.
Maybe a bad batch of air filters left the factory last year and some will become to be ingested by the engines? if there is another case like mine, sure it will be the same imput like me...

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,307 Posts
Maybe a bad batch of air filters left the factory last year and some will become to be ingested by the engines? if there is another case like mine, sure it will be the same imput like me...
Well Pcaster remembers the other post to, so I’m not crazy….about that anyway…..that person had nearly identical issue you did….

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,809 Posts
There it is!….pretty much identical filter failure. Same type of mystery but this guy thinks it was sabotage. ….thanks Pcaster for finding it, that had to take a while. Lol
The only thing is he never did report back on exactly what happened.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
The only thing is he never did report back on exactly what happened.
True, but there’s a couple mechanical issues My brain is choking on. One would think the metal mesh inside filter is flexible, not brittle that can break into pieces. Two, how can a single cyl 570 create enough vacuum to rip apart all of the filter parts including the wire mesh. Just sounds too much like Village Witch Voo doo to me……I’m hoping Polman or Latebird can grab a used OEM air filter and check the metal mesh for strength and let us know.

·
Premium Member
2021 scrambler 1000 xp s..
683 Posts
True, but there’s a couple mechanical issues My brain is choking on. One would think the metal mesh inside filter is flexible, not brittle that can break into pieces. Two, how can a single cyl 570 create enough vacuum to rip apart all of the filter parts including the wire mesh. Just sounds too much like Village Witch Voo doo to me……I’m hoping Polman or Latebird can grab a used OEM air filter and check the metal mesh for strength and let us know.
i have a used one at home i will look at it tonight and see what i can see

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I too have some old ones in the shop. I'll try to remember to do a close up look. Maybe cut one open. I've seen them smashed, mashed and bent from careless installation. I've also seen them plugged solid with dirt, mud, water, oil and severely abused. But I never saw one come apart like that.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Mr Ed here's something to really choke your mind on, once you have a hole the air will freely pass through it, it will not continue to rip a much larger hole as there is now a easy path of resistance.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
The real test would be to cage a mouse in screen all the way around top bottom and then put his food on the outside of the screen I will bet anybody $100 he will eat right through the screen to get to his food.

Reactions: Coloradoracer

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
The real test would be to cage a mouse in screen all the way around top bottom and then put his food on the outside of the screen I will bet anybody $100 he will eat right through the screen to get to his food.
That is possible, I’ve seen them chew through copper…..but not steel of any thickness…that would be a great experiment.

·
Premium Member
2021 scrambler 1000 xp s..
683 Posts
That is possible, I’ve seen them chew through copper…..but not steel of any thickness…that would be a great experiment.
but use the same wire thats in the air filter i dont think it will take them long to get through that at all

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
I would still like to see picture of the end cap of that air filter with the Polaris name or logo on it

Reactions: MrEd

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
That experiment would require some effort, fill an air filter with meese food, secure each end with metal thick enough that they can’t chew through, so they have to go through the media and wire mesh.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts