Polaris ATV Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 scrambler 1000 xp s..
683 Posts
That experiment would require some effort, fill an air filter with meese food, secure each end with metal thick enough that they can’t chew through, so they have to go through the media and wire mesh.
maybe a weekend project 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
780 Posts
That would be great, I believe Pcaster said the metal mesh is aluminum, I thought it would be steel, maybe it’s a brittle type of aluminum?
I just checked some aftermarket filters I have and the mesh is metal. I put a magnet up to it and it stuck. I may be wrong on the OEM filter mesh being aluminum but it looks like aluminum. Regardless, I have no idea what the root cause of the issue is.

**Are we on candid camera on this one?!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
There it is!….pretty much identical filter failure. Same type of mystery but this guy thinks it was sabotage. ….thanks Pcaster for finding it, that had to take a while. Lol
Bum, there you go, same behavior as my filter, look at the cut in the metal mesh, it seems like made with scissors, true this filter has no more damage than mine, but look at what the OP comments, his engine sucked the metal mesh and stop right away, in my case, the engine did not stop, i contiued to ride for many miles, until i realised engine was blowing white smoke, then in pulled over, this was a WOT ride for many miles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I check filters a couple times a year. Especially if I think there’s a possibility it got wet. One of my sportsman had gotten wet so I just replace them.. they aren’t that expensive. When I first read the post I didn’t think mice, I thought “wet!” Oem Polaris filters are just a paper, it gets wet a few times and it starts to break down. If the pre filter is fine then how could it be mice anyway ?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts