Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is a great forum. Very informative. I've been a MX/enduro/hare scramble guy (dirt bike) for many years and bought a brand new bike last year but never owned a 4-wheeler. I'm buying 2 new 2014 atv's (the wife wants a Sportsman 400) to go trail riding and play in the sand pits at some of the off-road parks here in Florida. During 90% of our 4-wheelin' I'll be tethered to a group of non-aggressive leisurely family members who also just bought their first atv's (Sportsman 400's). With that in mind I am trying to decide between a Sportsman 570 and a '14 Scrambler 850 with price-vs-practicality as a major factor. The price negotiated with my local dealer for the Sportsman 400 and Sportsman 570 is $12,200 OTD for both. For the 400 and the Scrambler XP 850 it's $14,700 OTD for both. Are these prices reasonable? In your opinion is the performance of the 850 over the 570 worth the extra $2500,especially since I won't use all of that power most of the time,plus I still have my dirt bike to get crazy on? Also,in my experience with bikes,generally the higher performing equipment requires more maintenance. Top-end rebuilds,clutch plates etc. Will the 850 require more and more expensive maintenance? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Those prices seem decent to me actually. I know there are a lot of people who wind up paying $12k+ for their 850XP OTD by itself. I paid over $6k for my 400HO OTD with accessories. So to hear that you could get a 570 for about the same price is pretty great.

Normally I would say that the 570 would be more then enough machine for most people; there are a ton of serious riders here that are very happy with their power and sporty feel. But it sounds like you've got a lot of experience with riding or racing, etc, so I think the extra $2500 could be money well spent. There's no compromises with the 850, you'll never want to upgrade later. And even though you'll be riding with family most of the time, I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances to open 'r up and ride the way you want to ride.

The value line 570 will be a little more maintenance-free than the XP, but neither machine is going to require the type of two-stroke maintenance you're worried about. XP you might have to replace bushings every couple of years, but aside from regular maintenance, both machines should be trouble free.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Also you could look at the 550. All the benefits of the 850 just less power. I love mine and have never even thought about upgrading. Just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I bought my wife a 400ho and put a deposit on another 400 (for my daughter) along with an awesome used 3-place sideload aluminum atv trailer the dealer has. I'll probably buy the 570EFI over the Scrambler only because I really don't want to spend more than $20,000 to trail ride. 2 Sportsman 400ho's ,1 green and 1 blue, and a pursuit camo 570EFI with the trailer for $19,174 OTD plus I'm pretty sure I can talk the dealer into some freebies or a discount or two on gear. I do want that Scrambler though! I have to keep talking myself out of it. :argue:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant to ask,did Polaris make a Scrambler 550 for 2014? If so I can't seem to find out anything about it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just bought my first as well and went right to the 850. It is like four wheel drive in my suv's...needing it just one time but not having it and I'd wished I'd bought it. Of course I've needed 4x4 countless times over the years including last weekend. I'd simply buy one of the almost never driven 2012 850's all over the place that people are selling on the used market. I see them range from a single mile in someone's garage to 300 miles and way up to 5000 miles a year and a half old. If I could get away with one up machines, it would be easy to have a garage full of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 550. I rode a 570 and now a 850. You an I have the same background on two wheels... cept for the motox.

All I can say is, holy shnikeys on the 850. That thing in the woods is on the borderline of insanity... which might be a good thing.

I would take the 850 over the 570 just because I felt its a more comfortable machine for the leisure times. We also keep things till they fall apart. So the cost does factor into it, but not so much as if we traded up or out every 5 -10 years, which we dont. It was also a more responsive machine with rider inputs.

A good rider on either machines will have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts