Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd join the site in order to get some help on my next purchase! Always been a honda guy before this but the lack of features has turned me away! No IRS, front locker and a crap of a trans in the Rincons (no low) has ventured me here.

Started looking at the Grizzly 700's as a few buddies who I will be riding with have them and like them. The other guy has a Sportsman 500. Lots of trash talk between them! Just didn't like the looks of the grizzly....design just looked cheap to me. Rest of it I liked.

I was looking at the 550's until the 570 has just came out. Obviously more power so why not over the 550. EPS is not a big deal to me. I mean the sportsman and grizzly's I've been driving are ease compared to driving foreman and rancher atv's like I was use to.

I'm stuck on the 570 and the 2013 800's.....dealer quoted me an '13 800 for 6800 without taxes. 5999 on a new 570. I can get a little better deals at another dealer not too far away (300-400 bucks cheaper). But the other dealer doesn't have any 800's left.

Bike will be strictly a trail toy. Mud, dirt, some pavement to get to trails and everything else. I like mud too much actually lol. However in the winter I expect it to plow my driveway!

I almost pulled the trigger on the 570 today but couldn't after reading some issues with the 570 motor. Seems like a few people have had some malfunctions and had to get their motors rebuilt. This seem like its going to continue? If so this might affect what I go with.

I also read the battery on the 570's is located in a crappy spot where mud and water can really get to it.....this true? an issue?

Go with the 570 and hope I get lucky for a first year bike or get the 800? I will be putting some 27" tires on it and winch.

I still do like the Can Am outlander 650 XMR though. 28" tires, radiator relocated, winch. But they are $$$$$$. So unless I win the lottery it won't happen.

What do you guys think? Are Polaris's really reliable? Everyone I know with them loves them.....everything else I know talks of how they are junk....

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
reliability is going to depend on how you take care of it. Personally, a quad isn't a boat so sinking it it mud and water is going to have lots of issues. but with proper preparation and maintenance you should be ok.

Now between the 570 and the 800, for me it's going to come down to fit. IE how it fits you. The ergos are completely different between the too.

Many people will say there is not replacement for displacement. but unless you're goal is top speed, displacement rarely comes into the picture. especially at the speeds that most trail riding requires.

The 570 isn't a first year motor, just a first year in the ATV's I'd go that route personally. A lot cheaper, and just as capable.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't have any experience with those 2 quads. I'm sure someone who does will chime in here. I ride with 2 guys with Grizzlys, a 660 and a 700. Most of the time I'm leading the way on my '02 500. The guy with the 700 said "if you can't make it up that....I don't want to try". LOL
Like any motor vehicle, you can get a lemon. But both the Polaris quads I've owned have been very reliable machines. The trick is simply DO THE MAINTENANCE!! If you take care of your investment, and don't abuse it, you should get many years of enjoyment.
One thing to keep in mind....bigger engine means more fuel consumption. That increase in power comes at a cost. Myself I'd wait on the 570 to see if the engine needs improvements. I'm hesitant to buy anything that's new and doesn't have a proven track record. My 500 was a proven machine and highly recommended by all the mechanics I quizzed about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's this "more" maintenance that I hear with the polaris's? With my previous bikes, I just changed the air filter and oil and kept riding......curious to what needs to be done often or from time to time....and I don't plan on sinking it over the racks. But we do like to play in some deep stuff from time to time. But sometimes the mud holes are deeper than you think!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
reliability is going to depend on how you take care of it. Personally, a quad isn't a boat so sinking it it mud and water is going to have lots of issues. but with proper preparation and maintenance you should be ok.

Now between the 570 and the 800, for me it's going to come down to fit. IE how it fits you. The ergos are completely different between the too.

Many people will say there is not replacement for displacement. but unless you're goal is top speed, displacement rarely comes into the picture. especially at the speeds that most trail riding requires.

The 570 isn't a first year motor, just a first year in the ATV's I'd go that route personally. A lot cheaper, and just as capable.
I'd have to agree with these statements..... go with the best ergonomics of the machine and you. Take them both for a test ride and see what fits you the best. With that size of rubber you'll want/need to do a clutch kit, which will wake it up some too (so I've heard).

I personally haven't riden a 570 yet, and honestly just from sitting on them, like the wider seat of the 800 myself (but we're all built different). I also switched over from Honda's a year ago and love my Sportsman and the power my 800 puts to the ground!

what's this "more" maintenance that I hear with the polaris's? With my previous bikes, I just changed the air filter and oil and kept riding......curious to what needs to be done often or from time to time....and I don't plan on sinking it over the racks. But we do like to play in some deep stuff from time to time. But sometimes the mud holes are deeper than you think!
More maintenance..... Honda's are a different bread, with the clutchless shifting and gear driven transmissions. They require nearly 0 upkeep much past oil changes and oil/air filter changes. The belt systems (almost every brand but Honda) requires cleaning of the clutches/sheaves and sometimes belt replacement, but it's all dependent on riding style and how it's used or abused. Many will say a belt should get you 1000 miles or more. Abuse it / allow it to slip by not selecting the right gear for the job, and you just glazed and ruined the belt (rule of thumb, if you smell burnt rubber.... it's already to late!) If you go to big with rubber you run the risk of breaking axles.... as more rubber = more weight to turn! Not to mention mud is hard on things.

As for battery placement.... I don't think Polaris has ever done a good job like the Honda's and put it under the seat and easy to get at. As the 800 is in the left rear wheel well.... exposed to whatever the tires through at it, but up high -OR- the 570 has it located low in the center of the frame..... exposed to the water mud and harder to change with out removing a wheel to get at it. Which is the worse of two evils?? :D

As for sinking it or going deep.... many do. You just have to prepare it correctly. The main things are to apply dielectric grease to the electrical connections and silicone the clutch cover and breather tube connections .... to help displace the water! As on any machine water = corrosion = issues. After use grease the Zerks to displace any water/dirt and it's ready for the next ride.

I don't think you could go wrong with either machine..... Polaris Sportsman 570 or 800 or even the Yamaha Grizzly. Also a great machine, just a little higher center of gravity, as they seem to have a higher roll-over rate. No matter what you get.... take care of it and it will take care of you!

Bottom line..... ride them before you decide from "the numbers on paper" stand point!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As for battery placement.... I don't think Polaris has ever done a good job like the Honda's and put it under the seat and easy to get at. As the 800 is in the left rear wheel well.... exposed to whatever the tires through at it, but up high -OR- the 570 has it located low in the center of the frame..... exposed to the water mud and harder to change with out removing a wheel to get at it. Which is the worse of two evils?? :D
Battery on my old 700 is right under the seat and easy to get at. I'm surprised they went away from that. I haven't pulled the battery out on my XP but seems fairly protected under the rack and front headlight pod but still accessible.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The Hawkeye's (predecessor to the mid sized sportsman) has it it in the front storage compartment. but several people have commented on how it's a non-issue. sure it'll get dirty, or wet, but if the connections are greased it shouldn't matter. I'd rather have it open in mid frame than in the wheel well where crud is getting thrown at it all ride long.

Either way, a battery cover isn't hard to make if you're that concerned about it.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The 570 battery is located in the same place as on the X2. A non issue. I prefer that location compared to the left rear wheel well like on mine.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Having started with a Honda dirt bike from the late 60's I am sad to hear they are not cutting edge in the ATV market. Perhaps the ATV market has low margins and they just did not want to chase that toy market. So far I like our two old Polaris's if we get them up and running. No shifting is important to me these days. :)

Either the 570 or 800 should serve you well. Just get it broke-in as soon as possible and try to rack up 100 hours fast (not hard to do with a new toy) so if there are issues they are more likely to happen when Polaris is doing the fixing on their dime.

Best of luck with Polaris and sorry the hear Honda got behind the curve.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I looked at both. I left with a 570. The power is great. As far as the issue I am having, I would say its a specific issue to my motor. Never has anyone heard of this issue in the rzr 570s. The battery is in a good spot I think. Its out of the way from the rear tire, the front arent going to throw anything at it, leaves the air box under the seat. And water isnt going to hurt it. The 800 is a thirsty motor no doubt but seemed a little dated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've driven the 570 and the 850 XP. Can't say I like the feel of one over the other. Both feel great. I do like the alloy wheels on the XP package.....which would save me from buying nicer wheels on the 570 for bigger tires. I've seen some of the XP's on here with bigger tires on the XP wheels and they look awesome!

I think right now I'm leaning to the 850 XP. Depends what kind of deal the dealer will give me too.

Just to throw this out there.....what about the Can Am 650 XMR? setup nicely....but I don't know anything about them......

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you are wanting bigger tires and different wheels on the 570 already just get the 850 today.

Often people do not understand how they can screw up a machine with bigger tires than the engineers designed around and I expect that can apply to the ATV world as well. Clutches and gear ratios take some forethought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are wanting bigger tires and different wheels on the 570 already just get the 850 today.

Often people do not understand how they can screw up a machine with bigger tires than the engineers designed around and I expect that can apply to the ATV world as well. Clutches and gear ratios take some forethought.
I'm only talking about a 27 or 28" tire. If i was going with some 30's then I'd expect to have to upgrade some stuff. I will still do a clutch kit.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ajete311 that is just fine. Some just do not understand any deviation from manual spec OEM equipment can be a game changer that can cost some change in the long run due to stresses not considered by engineers.

Since I am a consumer of used vehicles only I pass on machines that do not still have OEM spec tires and wheels and other after market stuff from years of experience that it tilts the odds in my favor. :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Battery on my old 700 is right under the seat and easy to get at. I'm surprised they went away from that. I haven't pulled the battery out on my XP but seems fairly protected under the rack and front headlight pod but still accessible.
Thanks for the info.... I stand corrected!

I'm only talking about a 27 or 28" tire. If i was going with some 30's then I'd expect to have to upgrade some stuff. I will still do a clutch kit.
A stock tire is 25", so to me no change would be needed in the 25-26" size range.... but you start talking 27-30"+ and you are talking a sugnificant change in diameter / gear ratio and weight for a machine of this size!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts