Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the thread.....getting a new atv soon and am torn...I'm considering the new 570 or have found a 2009 XP 850 like new condition with 1500 miles, can probably purchase for $6000...would love any input or problems found with either of these...thanks

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
new to the thread.....getting a new atv soon and am torn...I'm considering the new 570 or have found a 2009 XP 850 like new condition with 1500 miles, can probably purchase for $6000...would love any input or problems found with either of these...thanks
6000$ seems kinda high for a 09! There's a 12 by me for 6400!

If u like power go with the 850! Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought my 570 for $6299. I agree I don't think that 850 is worth $6000

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
here in canada I'm stunned at how many guys ask the moon for 8 to 10 year old 500's.. I see them in the trader and in kijiji (Canada's version of craigs list) for $4000 to $4500 consistently.. Its been that way as long as I can remember, so guys must be getting those dollars for them.. I don't think $6000 is out of line for an 09' 850, but again.. I'm in Canada so to the u.s guys who can buy new quads for 20 to 30% less than up here I can see where $6k is a lot for a 5 year old 850.. That said, I do agree that if you can go new.. I would.. There is real peace of mind that comes with a warranty and being the only one who's ridden a machine.. The 570 has most of the key features of an XP anyway. (narrow seating position - efi and eps as an option).. You miss out on the caddy like ride of the xp, EBS, the anti kick back steering and a few other engineering goodies.. However eps on a 570 will at least even the score on the anti kick back.. I have an 850 and its an outstanding machine with the power to force a grin on your face at will.. However, If you can square yourself with giving up the 26 more ponies you'd get with the 850.. I think a new 570 is a no brainer..

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
Two totally different animals. Really can't compare the two. Depending what part of the country you are in, $6000 isn't a bad price, especially if it has power steering. Do your research and see what they sell for in your part of the country to determine if it is a fair price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think the price was unfair (XP 850), especially for the condition it is in.....Most of my riding is going to be mountain trails and some occasional sand dunes....would love the power of the 850 but think that in tight conditions of trail riding & any sand riding, the weight of the 850 might be an issue.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you can throw these 850's around pretty good, I found with setting the shocks to the stiffest setting, I can kick it around a corner just fine.

That being said, I know a guy with a 570 that can hang right with the 850 on flat ground, its just not a torque monster like the 850. I dont think that 850 for 6k is a bad price, depending on options. I would imagine it has EPS. is it an LE?

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
For trail riding, the weight of the 850 is a non-issue. With only a 57 lb weight difference between the two, that wouldn't be a factor for me. None of the Polaris family are light weight. It's just a matter of riding both and deciding which one fits you the best. Don't think you could go wrong with either of the two.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I agree!! That is why I bought a Polaris, like how sure footed they are, from the extra weight.
For trail riding, the weight of the 850 is a non-issue. With only a 57 lb weight difference between the two, that wouldn't be a factor for me. None of the Polaris family are light weight. It's just a matter of riding both and deciding which one fits you the best. Don't think you could go wrong with either of the two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the XP doesnt have EPS and i dont believe its a limited edition either, thing is, its about 200 miles away and Ive just seen pics on craigslist & it does look like new.....or I can just go to the Polaris dealer 40 miles away & just purchase a new 570....I'm feeling more comfortable with going to the dealer

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would buy new.

If someone beat the crap out of the 850, it could end up being a nightmare. To be totally honest, I don't think I would ever buy used machine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would buy new.

If someone beat the crap out of the 850, it could end up being a nightmare. To be totally honest, I don't think I would ever buy used machine.
I am the same way now... I only occasionally buy some $500-$1K beater sleds for visitors to pound on at the cabin. It's always good to have spare sleds around. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
1500 miles on an atv is really not considered low mileage if you ask me. To many variables with that many miles. Plus the older 850 models get the oil in the airbox crap going on. Also with a good camera anyone can make a piece of dog crap shine like gold. Stick with a new model unless you can find something with 200hrs or less that you can put your eyes on before you buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.