Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just bought a brand new 2014 sportsman 570. When I let off the accelerator it starts making a popping or clicking noise without even touching the brake. Was wondering if this could be the CVT? It is just the regular efi model, no eps or anything. I called my dealer and asked if it was normal and he said to just drive it and see if it quietens up and if its still doing it when i take it in for the 25hr maintenance they would check it out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Some clicking/clunking is normal with belt drives. Usually its more of a clunk than a click tho.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Break it in as prescribed and then see what happens. Polaris Outlaws tended to backfire and even " Tweet " upon decell until broken in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some clicking/clunking is normal with belt drives. Usually its more of a clunk than a click tho.
ok, I only have about 10 miles on it. Does it quieten up any or will it do it all the time? I had a 2010 brute force 750 belt drive and it never made them sounds when slowing down.

·
Registered
944 Posts
ok, I only have about 10 miles on it. Does it quieten up any or will it do it all the time? I had a 2010 brute force 750 belt drive and it never made them sounds when slowing down.
Just to be clear, is this happening while using the brakes ?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The clunk will pretty much stay there forever. Polaris is known to have VERY noisy clutches. But who cares what they sound like! They work well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear, is this happening while using the brakes ?
negative, not using any brakes. Ill can be going around 20 mph and when i let off and i can feel the transmission slowing the 4 wheeler down i can hear a clunking noise. I mean its even so noticeable my wife can hear it. Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clunk will pretty much stay there forever. Polaris is known to have VERY noisy clutches. But who cares what they sound like! They work well!
Copy that. Just wanted to make sure mine wasnt the only 1 doing it. It works well, like going down a hill not touching the brakes it will pull you forward slowing itself down.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A "popping" on decel is usually a sign of running too lean. I thought these things run rich from the factory?

·
Registered
422 Posts
A "popping" on decel is usually a sign of running too lean. I thought these things run rich from the factory?
Sounds like the popping OP is describing is coming from tranny or something, not the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like the popping OP is describing is coming from tranny or something, not the engine.
Yea it's not an engine popping, clunking. It's something to do with transmission or drive shaft or something?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Perhaps a bad cv joint? My 500 was acting up quite similar a few days after getting it. China axles aren't so hot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I went out and played around a little more on it today and when going slow and let off the gas it makes a clunking sound. Doesnt do it when I'm going fast but when it starts to almost stop it makes a couple of clunking sounds every time. Its a little annoying. Dont thinks its a bad cv joint because it would makes sounds when I am just rolling.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My 500ho clunks anlot when slowing down, notice it with rough pumps like farm feilds too. Its just drive line noise, gears in the trans, slient chain in the trans and clutches all have some small play and it results in some noise.

If you start to hear a clunk while turning be worried about cv/universal joints.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 570 clicks a lot when hitting a bump at about 10 mph or slowing down. Sounds like transmission clicking. Does everyone's do this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely a driveline noise on mine if going down a hill using the brakes. Seems like they all do it. On the other hand , mine does not do it just letting off the throttle. That would be a concern to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try it in 2wd then awd and see if there is a difference. The front wheel drive locks in with an electric assembly, it can make sounds when engaging and disengaging.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My 500ho clunks anlot when slowing down, notice it with rough pumps like farm feilds too. Its just drive line noise, gears in the trans, slient chain in the trans and clutches all have some small play and it results in some noise.

If you start to hear a clunk while turning be worried about cv/universal joints.
NO clunks on my 500 or 300 just slowing down no matter how smooth or rough the terrain.....

The only time either will have a slight "popping" noise from the driveline is during deceleration while using the brakes going down a STEEP hill, which is normal.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I think its normal.. My 850 touring would click under hard braking on rough terrain.. You know.. When you're at speed on rough terrain then jam the brakes.. The front end loads up and the back end gets light and chatters around while the machine works hard to settle itself down.. Thats when I would hear it.. Obviously, I don't know for sure if what I'm describing is what the op is hearing.. But what he describes is similar..

1 - 20 of 95 Posts