Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 14 sportsman 570 and when I go to start it, it cranks for a second, stops, then cranks and starts (not letting off the key at all). Sometimes the time between the first crank and when it starts cranking again is long and sometimes there is barely any time in between at all. It's done this forever but just wondering if it's supposed to do this? Never had any issues not starting. My 800 doesn't do this.

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
Weak starter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd second weak starter. Common issue. Electrical system is just not as durable as it should be. Same thing happened on my 500 with the same symptoms. And it didn't always happen. Fortunately it had pull start back up. Put in an aftermarket starter and cured problem. Until other issues appeared.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I've seen key switches, solenoids and bad connections cause the same problem

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same issue on three of my 2016 570s. Almost always start, but almost always a 1-2 second lull between first turn and turn that starts. Thanks for asking. If one finally craps out I'll know where to start...
On a different note I have replaced batteries (AGM) in all three. It helped for a short period, but went right back to the lull. One has resorted back to showing "LO" in the readout again.

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
Measure dc voltage at the battery terminal with the machine running @3,000rpm. Should read between 13.5-14.5vdc.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
are you running the stock battery?.. I had a similar issue show up a couple years into owning mine. I replaced the battery with a sealed unit with a few more CCA's and have had peppy starts ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts