Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided, what the hell, why not. I have a K&N air filter with the pre-filter wrapped around it, no mod to the snorkel or intake.

Just took a 2'5" hole saw and cut a hole in the end of the muffler. I left the little stock outlet that hangs down, intact. Figured it could act as a drain hose if I spray any water into the muffler.

I didn't like how it looked with just a hole in the end, and I happened to have a short piece of 2.5" diameter exhaust tubing sitting on my workbench from another project, so I installed that in the hole. It was hard to force in there(giggity), and had to work it in and hammer it in, but it seemed like it was not going anywhere. I don't have a welder, but I got some hi-temp JB weld and sealed it up, and then painted it with matte black header spray paint rated for 1500 degrees.

Sounds mean, aggressive, etc... I think that just opening the muffler up a tad won't throw off fueling too much without any intake mods, and perhaps the FI will compensate. The exhaust smells rich enough, but time will tell when I get out and ride it. If it seems like it has any issues I can get a fuel box to richen things up, but with just the hole in the end and it still having to exhaust through that inner 1" baffle, I don't think it will make too much of a difference.

Anyway, here are some pics, almost looks stock and once it is covered in mud and dirt you won't think twice looking at it. But it sounds pretty good, I think. A camera phone recording will only give you so much sound quality for this stuff, but it gives you an idea...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Enjoy? :dunno:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How far did you have to drill to open it up?
Took a minute with a drill and a 2.5" hole saw bit. It's like 16 or 18 gauge steel, but there are two plates to drill through, maybe 1" apart.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Any gains on the butt dyno? Also out of curiosity, see the 400ex in the background, how does the 570 compare to the 400?

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes...I'd like to know as well. 2002 400ex was my last quad before my 570.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I came from a 440ex bored. It would give a stock 400 a hard time. 570 is a running SOB

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any gains on the butt dyno? Also out of curiosity, see the 400ex in the background, how does the 570 compare to the 400?
A lot of it comes down to the rider of course, but in the few drag races we have done, the 570 wins. You can get more drive with a manual gearbox, but it doesn't have the traction that the 570 has. I will get some video up of us racing, and the stock 570 wheelied away and dusted the 400ex.

Through the woods, it comes down to rider more than anything.

I do plan to get a new clutch for this thing to give it more snap off the line and through the mid range, but so far it has been great.

Sound is good. No ill effects from the exhaust mod that I can see. Butt dyno is hard to measure with this type of drive train...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A lot of it comes down to the rider of course, but in the few drag races we have done, the 570 wins. You can get more drive with a manual gearbox, but it doesn't have the traction that the 570 has. I will get some video up of us racing, and the stock 570 wheelied away and dusted the 400ex.

I do plan to get a new clutch for this thing to give it more snap off the line and through the mid range, but so far it has been great.

Sound is good. No ill effects from the exhaust mod that I can see. Butt dyno is hard to measure with this type of drive train...
Nice, post those vids for sure. If you think about it the 570 has at least 15 more hp, and more torque. Even with the weight difference there's still a power gap and the traction difference like you stated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nice, post those vids for sure. If you think about it the 570 has at least 15 more hp, and more torque. Even with the weight difference there's still a power gap and the traction difference like you stated.
Will do. Might take a day or so, we had two Go Pro's going and about 60GB of stuff to sift through. Had some drag races, some decent mud and ruts, some 45mph blasts down some pretty twisty trails, etc... My girlfriend's EX400 got stuck and I got video of my dragging her out and up a steep muddy hill with a tow strap... the 570 didn't miss a beat in AWD low range... Other than the power delivery needing to be a little snappier off the line, this really is the perfect quad for the money.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Will do. Might take a day or so, we had two Go Pro's going and about 60GB of stuff to sift through. Had some drag races, some decent mud and ruts, some 45mph blasts down some pretty twisty trails, etc... My girlfriend's EX400 got stuck and I got video of my dragging her out and up a steep muddy hill with a tow strap... the 570 didn't miss a beat in AWD low range... Other than the power delivery needing to be a little snappier off the line, this really is the perfect quad for the money.

According to Dalton the stock clutch on the 570 is set up good from the factory, and only benefits from a clutch kit if you go to bigger tires. But I still would be curious to see some results after messing with it. I think a place where a big gain would be seen is ditching the stock intake snorkel, and getting a fuel programmer. The intakes on these Polaris quads are very bottled up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

According to Dalton the stock clutch on the 570 is set up good from the factory, and only benefits from a clutch kit if you go to bigger tires. But I still would be curious to see some results after messing with it. I think a place where a big gain would be seen is ditching the stock intake snorkel, and getting a fuel programmer. The intakes on these Polaris quads are very bottled up.
Suggestions on that? Anyone do it, with verified results? How do you tune these things? I don't see me tossing it on a dyno... Haha

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Suggestions on that? Anyone do it, with verified results? How do you tune these things? I don't see me tossing it on a dyno... Haha
Hmf makes a programmer for the 570. I know some guys modded the intakes on the 500 Sportsmans and rejetted with good results.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmf makes a programmer for the 570. I know some guys modded the intakes on the 500 Sportsmans and rejetted with good results.
Interesting... any links to the intake mod, or the threads pertaining to them?

I have seen some where you cut out some area where the snorkel tube meets the lid, but I checked mine and it is not chocked up there. To open mine up, I would need to remove the entire snorkel and replace the entire tube with a larger diameter one.

Would be interested to see what people have done with the 570...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I guess I shouldn't run my mouth since I don't have a 570, but I was just assuming this quad would get a performance boost from opening the intake. My other Polaris's all had similar corked up intakes. What about ditching the intake tube assembly all together and running with no lid and a foam filter? Would seem to open up some big airflow.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I shouldn't run my mouth since I don't have a 570, but I was just assuming this quad would get a performance boost from opening the intake. My other Polaris's all had similar corked up intakes. What about ditching the intake tube assembly all together and running with no lid and a foam filter? Would seem to open up some big airflow.
Problem is that yeah, more air... and mud, and water, etc... I am open to a larger bore snorkel or something, if that would help.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Problem is that yeah, more air... and mud, and water, etc... I am open to a larger bore snorkel or something, if that would help.
Yeah I understand about the water and mud etc. if your not doing a lot of mud or deep water it could be an option for sure. Maybe try a clutch kit after all and see what results you get?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts