Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 570 Suggestions

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  the_transporter 
#1 ·
Looking to get some shoes for the 570, upping to 27" or 28" will be buying new rims. Here is where the dilemna starts...

Not sure wether to buy 12" or 14" rims. What are the pros/cons of each?

As for tires, I'm torn between the Maxxis Zilla, Interco Swamp Lite, and of course OL2's.
I ride lots of trails with rocks and logs as well as mucky mud throughout. Quite a few water crossings with greasy bottoms, but in between trails is "high speed" open dirt roads, So I want to still be stable at higher speeds and able to break loose when necessary like in tight corners.

I will be buying a clutch kit, but do not plan on buying new axles which is why I'm leaning towards the lighter Zilla vs the heavy outlaw. The swamp lite is an option because of a buddy I ride with sometimes, doesn't have any real complaints on them except they are soft, which worries me for rocky climbs.

I will be dropping quite a bit of coin on this whole package and do not want to be stuck with a set-up that doesn't really work for me. Anything and everything helps!

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
As strange as this will sound, especially coming from me, if you are going to run nothing but 28" or taller tires, a 14" wheel wouldn't be a bad choice for you. If you ever plan on something shorter than 28", 12" wheels are the only way to go.

#5 ·
^I agree, 28" tires look good on 14" wheels, and it make sense. For what its worth I have Zilla's on both a Sportsman and Ranger and couldn't be happier with their performance on the trail/sand/mud. Also used to have a set of Swamp Lites on a Honda and they worked good but not quiet what the Zilla's do, but then again the Zillas are on a much more capable machine :rock:

#6 ·
Looks have nothing to do with it. It's about having enough sidewall between the rim and the ground to protect your rim and tire, as well as enable you to adjust tire pressures down to where they should be without worrying about pinches. 28" tall and taller tires give you the sidewall you need on a 14" wheel.

#7 ·
The looks are just an opinion, as I think they look good. I understand that the need for a taller tire with 14" wheel is necessary to improve not only durability but ride as well, the tire pressure also makes sense.

#9 ·
Have you looked at mega mayhems? They are a firmer compound then both zillas and swamplights. And a bit more aggressive then them as well but still ride well on trail

#10 ·
hit up Ryan at RVS performance. He'll hook you up with the right clutch kit for your riding/tire/machine combo.

As for the rim size. with 28"+ tires it's a toss up. more options in 12" but the 14" will work just fine too.

as for the tires. A lot of people's personal opinions are limited to the 2-3 tires that they have actually used. Very few have actually used dozens of different tires. Mostly because once someone finds something they like that works for them they stick with it.

"soft" rubber is better for rocks as it grips the rock surface better.

#11 ·
Swamp Lites work extremely well on my sons 570. They go everywhere they are pointed. They even seem pretty quiet and the compound in soft so the treads flex nicely. Good in snow, good in mud that's not extremely deep. Good in rocks and good on the trail and good on a speed run down a gravel road. Big complaint is pavement wears them down very very very quickly. Got around 600 miles on this set and they have plenty of life left as long as we keep it off the pavement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.