Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 570 vs 800

45K views 89 replies 21 participants last post by  infernored 
#1 ·
Im ready to retire my Foreman and for the price looks like Polaris cant be beat, Ive been talking to a dealer and looks like I can get the 570 for $5400 ($6000 w/ EPS) both OTD and 800 for $6200 OTD. Ive been lurking and searching on here for the past couple days and found a similar thread, but it was right as the 570 came out and I want to see if there's any new opinions?
Looking at them, this is the pro's and con's Ive been finding:

800 Pro's-
-You get a tried and tested machine that works
-More powerful engine
-Better working capabilities (plowing, towing)
Cons-
-Ergonomics are different (wider seat), maybe not a con, but different.
-Worse MPG
-A smaller gas tank
-From what I gather, a transmission thats not as good at putting power to the ground as the 570's
-Older plastic rack system

570 Pro's
-Improved Ergonomics
-Great MPG's
-Torquey, power engine for being a single cylinder
-Better Transmission
-Better Rack System
-EPS available

Con's
-Less Powerful Engine
-Not tried and true, new platform to the sportsman (I realize they've been in the Razor for a year or two now)

Now looking at the list, it looks like the 570 is the winner, but I do work my 4 wheeler hard, and Im thinking thats why Id like the 800, also being its got the cool factor of a big bore v-twin. But I trail ride here in the Georgia Mountains, and Ive got property in Iowa, where I plow snow, till plots, and tow a trailer. Ive towed 1800lbs with my Foreman Rubicon, not the smartest, but it was a trailer full of a trunk of a recently fallen oak tree, and I was towing on flat ground and going about a 1/4 mile.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the 800 and I really like it. By the way Polaris twins are parallel twins not v-twins. Sound will not be the same as a v-twin however the Prostar engine twins are close. The 800, 700, and 600 twins will not give you that sound. I put a HSP muffler on my 800 and it sounds more like a diesel at idle but it does get raspier and more bumble bee sounding at high rpms. Back to your question I think the 570 and all Polaris Prostar engines are great engines. However even though the 570 is within 10 hp of the 800 I would doubt ( I have never ridden a 570) the 570 has the low end grunt of the 800 mostly due to the displacement. On the maintanence side of things ( I hope someone with time on a Prostar engine will chime in) I believe all Prostar engines are DOHC engines. Great power but I believe that valve adjustments and such may be needed periodically. Again no big deal. The 800, which is a Fuji motor, uses hydraulic lifters with pushrods so no adjustment necessary.

My advice is this having not rode the 570. Either machine is a very capable machine for what you are going to do with it. Towing with an atv I would bet comes more down to the limitations of the CVT, transmission, braking, and other things before coming down to engine power. The 800 uses a lot of fuel. The 570 is new technology. Overall I suggest you get the one that seems to be the most comfortable to you because the ergonomics are different. I have stated before that I love my 800, and its paid for, but my next one would be an 850. I don't think you will go wrong either way but see which one fits you the best. Worrying over the difference of $400 is nothing. You will eat that up quick in accessories and other trinkets for your ride.

Good luck I am sure others will chime in with a better wealth of knowledge than myself

#4 ·
I recommend the 570. I looked at both machines and the 570 impressed me more. Dont let the displacement lead you away, I can wheelie my touring pretty dang easy. The new CVT design and DOHC motor work incredibly well together. Plus i prefer the sound of a thumper vs the buzzy 800. We have a 09 Ranger XP with the 700 twin, the motors don't compare.

#5 ·
I also have an 800 and love it.... but I'd test ride both and decide from there. See what "fits you" the best.

If I had the choice between these two when I bought in 2012..... I would have probably gone 570. As on both you get the EFI, Snappy/Powerful Performance. I personally think the kicker for the 570 is better fuel range, ESP and racks with actual metal in them (coming from a Honda you'll like that!), for a just a couple hundred less to boot!!! As for sitting on them..... I actually like the wider seat myself. But I'm sure I could learn to love a narrower seat. :D

I'd have to say, take a strong look at the 570!!

Good Luck with your choice!

#6 ·
The seat isn't that much narrower, but where your feet go is. Just allows more room. Plus the redesigned floor boards are really nice.

#7 ·
I also would go with the EPS model 570. Thats a really good price too!

#8 ·
OK I'm going to try n answer ur questiins /concerns in order. Both machines are tried n true. Even though the 570 is new the technology has been used in other platforms for a couple of years now. The old adage "there is no replacement for displacement" is true as far as these two machines are concerned. The 570 may b close in HP's but when it comes to torque the 800 has the upper hand. This equates into a more capable towing and plowing machine. Ergos are improved on the 570. Mpg's and miles per tank are better in the 570. EPs is available in the the 570. I'm fairly certain the trannies are the same, but I have also heard that they aren't. The 800 motor is an inline twin cylinder engine that is polaris manufactured. If u are looking for a capable fuel injected bike with EPS and great gas mileage the 570 has u covered. If u want big power with lots of torque also with efi then the 800 is what u need.

#9 ·
Dang we need a 570 vs 800 drag race. Maybe even a 550 vs 570.

#10 ·
U have made this comment before and even though its a stretch I would equate that type of head to head race to a race that was performed a few years back. On one of the performance TV shows they raced a stock mustang gt against a stock diesel f-250. The mustang won but not by much. Then the took a programmer gave the truck a tune and the truck bet the stang. My moral of the story is in a head to head race it was close but hang a ten thousand pound trailer on both of those bad boys and c what happens. I know its not apples to apples its just to me the way I ride my quad speed and top mph isn't a major factor. Even though I love betting the can am guys with 650's and their 3 more horses.

#11 ·
I had the same choice to make last fall and i went with the 800. Im so glad i did i love it. I rode my buddies 570 which is also a great machine i just personally liked the seat comfort better and the all around ride better in my 800. Maybe just because its mine who knows lol. The power is awesome and add a clutch kit and your really having fun then!

#12 ·
I bought a '14 800. I love it. Tons of low end grunt. Everyone who has ridden it after riding smaller bikes have been very impressed. The only thing I don't like about it is that it guzzles fuel. Not that I bought it for fuel economy I've just learned to always carry extra fuel on long rides.

#14 ·
I have never run out of fuel but been dam near it. 4 gallon fill up in a 4.2 gal tank. I carry a 1gal. rotopax with me just in case. and that's for the brutes and 1G's, they run out before me.

#13 ·
If u want power u can't worry bout gas mileage.

#15 ·
Jeez! I rode all weekend and only used half a tank on my 570

#16 ·
Well I have the 570 and love it. I think it can do everything the bigger machines can but the ride is better. The 800 may have a little more low end but how often are you towing? It's your choice and look at it this way. There really isn't a wrong choice here to be made because they are both great machines. Good luck with whatever bike you choose.

#18 ·
Either will be a fine machine, they both are Polaris so you can't go wrong!!!!! :cowboy:

#19 ·
the OP said he was going to work his rig so I answered accordingly. but as far as trail riding and wow factor, they are essentially the same chassis so the only way to increase said wow factor is by displacement which equates to power. I mean if we are going to entertain this theory of gas mileage and basic ability the 400 ups the 570 every time. there is only one thing the 570 trumps the 800 on and that is a factory eps. I can buy and install an aftermarket eps unit on my bike. there is no replacement for displacement, its that simple. a 570 isn't going to turn bigger tires through deep knarly rutted out rocky mud holes like the 800 nor is it going to climb steep rutted rocky mountain sides harder or faster then the 800. is the 570 a great machine, hell yeah. does the 800 win in power, all the time. its like this ur never going to hear the words "dam I wish I would have bought the machine that was less powerful" but u will hear "dam I should of bought the eps model". so in my eyes thats what it boils down to do u want power steering or engine power.

#22 ·
Like I said before either will be a fine choice but for what the OP wants I would agree the 800 would fit the bill better than the 570. If I had to choose between the two it would be an 800 easily.

#24 ·
that rzr also runs the HO version of the 800. I don't believe the sportsman does. We need a 800 to come to St. Joe in march.

#27 ·
The 570 is a different transmission. it was first developed for the RZR 900 as far as I understand, then carried with every prostar motor.
Whtrapta, I will bring my 800 to St. Joe in March and we will see how they compare.
That sounds awesome. I'm anxious to see

#37 ·
I'll do it once the ground thaws and I can grip, but I also want to see an 800 touring pull one too.
No one is saying the 570 will be faster, but it's much closer than people realize.

The only video of a touring wheelie I could find is this 850xp

#38 ·
I'll do it once the ground thaws and I can grip, but I also want to see an 800 touring pull one too.
No one is saying the 570 will be faster, but it's much closer than people realize.

The only video of a touring wheelie I could find is this 850xp
2012 Polaris Sportsman Touring 850 H.O. EPS Bronze Mist LE - YouTube
Glad to see you fall in love with your quad again after that minor setback. By the looks of it, the 570 seems like it has some good power and snap. Kinda makes me wanna trade in my 500 for one. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#39 ·
What happened really sucked, but polaris really took care of me and it makes me stay especially loyal to them for it. I get calls every so often to check and see if I'm still happy too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.