Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sportsman 600 twin and when I accelerateI get a really loud high pitch whine. It continues until I letoff the throttle then it completely goes away until I get back on throttle. The noise really gets loud about 25 mph all the way to 50 mph. I took it to the dealer and they took apart the transmission and they could not find anything wrong. They thin the transmission is still the problem and want to put a new one in. Any thoughts. It has 156hours and 2600 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's more of a high pitched whine noise and at 25 miles per hour it's so loud it's unbearable to ride the ATV

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dealer checked the diff and said it was fine. Can the clutch or belt cause that type of noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked the belt last week and it it didnt have any jagged edges . i didnt remove it fron the machine. what should i look for on the belt and clutches

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'd start with the secondary. Pull it off, take it apart and look for worn out buttons and bushings. Primary, remove the spring, reinstall convert and make sure it closes and opens smoothly and chef the rollers for flat spots and that the roll freely. Weight holes egged out our weight pins worn down where weights sit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts