Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 sportsman 700. Last season the 4wd worked fine. I only ride 2 or 3 times a year and its easy riding. I replaced the battery this winter and have not riden since i replaced the battery. I got out for the first time in 6 months to plow the driveway and now it does not engage. The speedo works, awd lights up, reverse over ride works, everything works as normal other than the front tires wont spin. I read maybe front diff fluid needs changed? Is there anything else thats common on these to check first? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
424 Posts
When did you change the fluid last? How many hours/miles?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It is really a simple system. When you flip the 4wd switch you energize the magnet in the front diff. Check this with a meter. If that is good then I would change the fluid in the front diff. If this is done 95% of 4wd issues go away.

If you don't have power then you have to start at the beginning check the wiring, make sure switch works etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont remember exact hours and miles but both are very low. I jacked up today to look at electrical connections and everything looked fine. I did notice the front right outer cv boot was tore a little so I dont know if that would keep awd from engaging but I would guess no. I found the drain plug on front diff but didnt see the fill plug anywhere. Im going to pick up fluid tomorrow and try that first

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am new to atv's but even if their was shtty fluid in the diffs it should still do something no?,how is the clutch belt, maybe its broke.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was talking to the service manager at my local dealer and according to him Polaris uses a plastic carrier in the front differential of all their 4wd machines. He said it is quite common for the plastic carrier to break. There is an aftermarket carrier available that is supposed to be far more durable.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I am new to atv's but even if their was shtty fluid in the diffs it should still do something no?,how is the clutch belt, maybe its broke.
Dirty fluid prevents the Hilliard from rotating inside the diff and locking into place so you don't get locked diff. If the belt was gone he would not move anywhere.

I was talking to the service manager at my local dealer and according to him Polaris uses a plastic carrier in the front differential of all their 4wd machines. He said it is quite common for the plastic carrier to break. There is an aftermarket carrier available that is supposed to be far more durable.
Yes the Sprague cage is known to break but it really isn't that common when you look at the issues that cause 4wd not to work. Almost always, provided you didn't break something by riding hard, clean fluid will correct issue. The next most common thing is electrical issues. It is an electro magnet that grabs an armature plate that locks into the Sprague cage and thrusts the roller pins outward to lock on the outer collar to wedge the diff into a locked position.

First check voltage at the plug that goes into the diff. You can also apply 12v to the diff side of connector and see if it will lock into 4x4 when rear wheels spin.

If that is all good then you will need to take apart and examine the armature plate, the cage, the rollers and the springs that hold the rollers into the cage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok changed fluid and still nothing. i looked at the wires going from diff to switch and all looks good. i will get a meter and test. fluid that drained out had no metal or other pieces come out but was very dirty. I flushed with atf to get all the gunk out.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
some times it takes two fill and drains....run it with the stuff you have in it now...for a bit...then after a say 50 miles on it..change again...then refill....but also check your power in the connectors...meter it out....see if power to the pugs...if there is ...just run 50 an change again...see if it helps

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
some times it takes two fill and drains....run it with the stuff you have in it now...for a bit...then after a say 50 miles on it..change again...then refill....but also check your power in the connectors...meter it out....see if power to the pugs...if there is ...just run 50 an change again...see if it helps
+1
I would definitely change fluid a couple times. It may have never been serviced before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright i flushed and filled a couple times on the diff still nothing. I got it jacked up and noticed my speedo was now not working. the 4wd will kick on and the speedo will kick on and then as soon as i shift to neutral or reverse it starts all over and wont work. so it sounds like i have a speedo issue. i unplugged connections form the back of the speedo and cleaned them up and blew some air into them, still comes and goes. if i keep in forward gear it will continue to work until i shift to a different gear.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If your transmission selector switch is bad it won't work either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have it on jack stands. I let it idle and in awd and eventually the 4wd will kick in and stay in until I either turn it off or change gears. If i put in reverse and let idle it will eventually kick in as well. sometimes its right away sometimes its a minute or 2 but it will eventually start working. Its seems as though I have a short somewhere in the speedo?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the hall sensor just does the MPH as i was told....did you drive it with new fluid in it yet....driving it may losen any gunk in there...like InRBigness said it could be the tranny selector switch also...but I would run the new oil a bit and drain it....then refill again....look in the pod for any chaffed wires...I believe the brown yellow is the grounds..check them

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
he can put a meter on the plug an check it for 12V....shift it to all gears and see if power cuts out...that way he is checking harness for any problems...see if it cuts out or not....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts