Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sportsman 800 currently that I am running a Ranger 700 engine in (bought the bike with a blown engine and used the good 700 I have temporarily until I rebuild the 800 engine).

I absolutely love the ride of the 800 bike, it does great on the Hatfield and Mccoy trails. We ride up to 110 or so miles in a day, so I am unwilling to lose this comfort. The ride quality is great.

I am curious if I will be disappointed in the ride quality of a new 850 or 1000? I would like to have power steering, but I could buy a kit for my 800. I rode my buddies Can Am Renegade 800R and was not a fan after about 20 minutes (power was great but ride was too harsh).

I enjoy power, and the 700 engine definitely leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
So my 800 does great at HMT but there are trails that I wish it was a bit more nimble and the suspension had more to give. So I'm pretty set on getting a Scrambler 1000. The scrambler and sportsman are nearly identical. I know the Scrambler will perform well at HMT.

I'm not convinced these aftermarket eps systems are a OEM equivalent. It seems they have a lot to be desired. As far as I can tell from reading up on them and witnessing them on my riding buddies wheelers.

As far as the renegade goes I have a buddy that rides one and after long rides he does complain how beat up he is. They are monsters but riding comfort isn't their best attribute.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my 800 does great at HMT but there are trails that I wish it was a bit more nimble and the suspension had more to give. So I'm pretty set on getting a Scrambler 1000. The scrambler and sportsman are nearly identical. I know the Scrambler will perform well at HMT.

I'm not convinced these aftermarket eps systems are a OEM equivalent. It seems they have a lot to be desired. As far as I can tell from reading up on them and witnessing them on my riding buddies wheelers.

As far as the renegade goes I have a buddy that rides one and after long rides he does complain how beat up he is. They are monsters but riding comfort isn't their best attribute.
I agree, staying on green trails it is an absolute dream to ride. If you start getting into more technical stuff, it could be better. There are times my friends (Outlaw and Renegade riders) can have a blast messing around while I can't do anything like they can. But I prefer the comfort over sport, and would just more power with a little better handling.

I have had those concerns. It seems the SuperATV I will either keep the 800 for me and find a 570EPS for my dad/gf, etc to take on trips or put EPS on mine and buy a 1000/850 for me.

The power of the Renegade is awesome for sure and I thought about looking for one... until I spent some time on it at some speed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The 800 I use to have had a much smoother slow speed ride comfort than the new 17 Sportsman 850 SP I have now, but the 850 has a better ride at speed and is more nimble than the 800. Tires would be the first thing to update on the new 850/1k's because the stock CST tires suck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

BP 405 i say go for the scrambler, suspension, handling , acceleration is bang on, its not a wheelly machine so u can accelerate pretty hard up hills or whatever without having to worry about falling on ur back, lol , its a top end bike and pulls hard all the way to top end, it never gets old, ! power steering, to me its perfect, u could steer with ur pinky,
storage, well u just got to bolt big storage box down on the back if u need to or get the wife to haul the extra gas, :) , plastic rack is big enough u can fit after mark storage box if u want,
the radiator sits pretty high and has never gotten dirty where the 570's in our group got caked and we had to rinse them out.
random picture of Polaris storage box for exra fuel

Attachments

·
8,770 Posts
The SuperATV power steering kit is the best money you will ever spend on an 800 IMO! Had I known at the time I bought my 800 just how good it was that would have been the very FIRST upgrade I would've done before winch, wheels and tires, brush guards or anything else. Handles like a dream. Steering through rocks, ruts and tight places is effortless. And best of all...no more wrist-breaking bump steer when you hit a rock or tree root.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Polman how many miles on your unit? Has the unit held up to the abuse well? Hows the speed sensetivity?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

BP 405 i say go for the scrambler, suspension, handling , acceleration is bang on, its not a wheelly machine so u can accelerate pretty hard up hills or whatever without having to worry about falling on ur back, lol , its a top end bike and pulls hard all the way to top end, it never gets old, ! power steering, to me its perfect, u could steer with ur pinky,
storage, well u just got to bolt big storage box down on the back if u need to or get the wife to haul the extra gas, :) , plastic rack is big enough u can fit after mark storage box if u want,
the radiator sits pretty high and has never gotten dirty where the 570's in our group got caked and we had to rinse them out.
random picture of Polaris storage box for exra fuel
I'm curious about the advantage of the Scrambler vs Sportsman.... I like having the storage and fenders like the Sportsman has, but I do appreciate performance... Is there much difference aside from aesthetics?

Polman how many miles on your unit? Has the unit held up to the abuse well? Hows the speed sensetivity?
I would be curious to know this as well... I rode a Sportsman 850 SP and the power steering was effortless, wonder how it compares to that. Also, reliability is a question as well.

·
8,770 Posts
I've had it on a couple years now. Somewhere around 3000 to 4000 HARD miles with nary a glitch. I was really impressed right from the beginning with the effortless steering. When doing the install, the unit gets wired right into the speedo so that steering assist decreases with speed...max assist at low speed. After wrestling that gorilla with both arms and having to throw body weight against it for really tough stuff for so long with manual steering, there is a little bit of learning curve because it is sooo easy and sensitive to the slightest input. I now often drive on some pretty rough stuff with one hand effortlessly while enjoying a cold drink or a smoke. :grin Whereas before, I would have been holding on tight with both hands in the same section.
LOL...It did startle me a little at first when I turned the machine on the first time. The bars instantly "jerked" to the right because I was leaning on the bars ever so slightly. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I still do it sometimes...LOL.

I held off for a long time because of the price and worries about reliability. I just kept wondering if it was REALLY worth that much coin. Now, my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner! Well worth every penny!
It is a pretty involved install but as long as you take your time to get everything lined up properly before tightening it all down its not bad at all. I took my time to make sure everything was just so so and probably spent a total of about 4 hours on it. I was also doing some other stuff at the time so I didn't really time it specifically.
One key thing is to make sure you got good tight tie rod ends and to do a good accurate wheel alignment while you're in on it.
I've read where some folks had an issue or two with some of the earlier kits but the guys at Super ATV stand behind their products 100%...no questions asked!

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Well I have to say what I experienced with the aftermarket eps is more then likely a hack job on the installation. As I know Polman knows his stuff and I believe we practice the same due diligence in our installation and repairs on these wheelers. So with that said I may in the near future install a superatv eps unit. Thanks for the reply Polman!!!

·
8,770 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence bp405. Mine may quit on the next ride but it has worked flawlessly so far. There are some cheaper kits out there that are probably put together with lesser quality components too. I can ONLY vouch for my experience with the Super ATV kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts