Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Hopefully this thread is in the right place to ask some questions from folks who know a lot more than I do about this stuff. I picked a 2004 Sportsman 700 Twin from an auction recently. I have done tons of work to it to get it to where I thought it would run, and took it out for the first time today and it was a disappointment. I had it on jacks while I did most of the work. It idles fine, tires turned fine on jacks, but when I took it on the test drive it has a clunk and it seems "bouncy." Not really sure how to describe the bounce other than it feels like a tire with a bubble in it. It rolls nice and smooth in neutral, it only does it in gear (forward and reverse).

The tires are all new, and I cleaned all the cv joints and put new grease and boots. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing these types of issues? The clunking or clicking happens going straight but does get worse when it is turned to the left. Another thing that had me a little concerned, and I thought possibly related, was that I could pull it backwards while in gear with the engine off. It wouldn't go forward when in H or L, but when it was in R I could push it forward and not pull it backward. I'm kinda worried it's the tranny that's the source of all the issues...

Also, the AWD doesn't seem to be working correctly, but I haven't looked at that yet to see what may be wrong.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I think the cause of not being able to push in forward in forward or pull backward when in reverse is caused by the one way bearing in the clutch for the engine braking system, but the clicking, clunking especially when turning sounds more like a faulty CV joint or worn out splines on one of the wheel hubs. It could be in the drive units or transmission, but it's tough to guess from a description. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't think it should move while it was in gear with the engine off. If that isn't something to worry about then I won't worry about it! The CVs looked good when I took them apart and cleaned them, but I think I am just going to order new axles to see if that takes care of the issue. I'll post the results. I also picked up a 330 Magnum that I can work on while I wait for more parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts