Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll got a quick question.

I have a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700.

I took the engine apart to reseal the crankcase since it was leaking oil.
Put the engine back in and it ran okay for few hours, but then it blew an exhaust seal, and started backfiring and leaking oil worse than it ever did before I resealed it. I also had put a good muffler on it when I put the engine back in. (The previous muffler had a major slit in it and was missing some of the exhaust seals.)

I am posting a picture of the sealant I used, and would like you thoughts. - I believe it says it is rated to 400 degrees.
Not sure if I used the wrong stuff or what?

Thanks in advance,
Carson

Attachments

·
8,753 Posts
I always use Ultra Grey when building engines. It's semi-hardening. Same stuff used for original assembly by most mfg's.
You might want to check your oil pressure. If the oil pressure regulator dowel and spring (6&7) get sticky/weak it will over pressurize the system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Thanks!
Will try to check the oil pressure regulator.

Can't completely tell from your diagram where it is located?
Can you describe a little more? I have never messed with it before.

If the regulator is bad and did cause the engine to leak, could that also be the cause of the blown
exhaust seal and backfiring?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cannot find the oil pressure sensor

I looked at my sportsman today and could not find the oil dowel, bolt, and spring.

I thought I knew where to look, but this is all I found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
oil pressure regulator is behind the oil filter ,in the threaded piece oil filter spins onto , loosen it off and remove and a dowl and a spring is behind it , likely dowl is jammed or tight in the bore , ive actually started the engine with the filter removed and pushed the dowl and spring out , the engine oil pressure pushed it out hope this helps

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much guys!
I pulled the engine out of my sportsman 700 today. I found the oil pressure plug and the spring came right out. I don't see a dowel, not sure if it is stuck or something else is wrong?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the advice!
I bought a pencil magnet, and the oil pressure dowel came right out.
Now not sure what to check?
How do I know if the dowel and spring are weak?

·
8,753 Posts
I'd just replace the spring. You can do that anytime easily. Check the dowel under bright light and maybe a magnifying glass for wear marks burrs etc. Might want to just replace it too. Probably nothing wrong with it if they came out easy but they really don't cost much for the peace of mind. Oh yeah, you can also use a Qtip to clean out the hole too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks so much!
I will just replace the spring and dowel.

Also, do you have any specs for valve adjustment on this engine?
I would like to check it while it is out anyways.
I haven't ever checked it before.

It's a 2005 Polaris sportsman twin 700 EFI

·
8,753 Posts
Hydraulic lifters = no valve adjustments. If you ever pull the head off clean and lap the valve seats and inspect the lifters and push rods and replace the intake valve seals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crank Case torque specs?

Thanks to all!
I ordered a dowel and spring this morning. I'm going to go ahead and put the crank case back on, and try some anaerobic sealant this time.
Does anyone have the torque specs for the crank case?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Filter nipple question

Thanks!
I have a new dowel pin and spring ordered.

One more question though..

I pulled out the oil filter nipple since I was thinking the dowel and spring were behind it. Anyways, I didn't keep track of how it came out.
Not I'm not sure which way it goes back in?
I'll post two pictures explaining a little more.

Thanks in advance!

(Local tech at polaris shop had no idea, so I figured I'd just ask the pros on here!)

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm pretty sure the large inner bore faces the oil filter. Least that's how my 500's are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts