Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI with snowplow last winter. One owner with low miles and hours. My son trailered my atv and plow up north to go ice fishing last week. Drove up without atv covered and was snowing and roads were wet with salt. He started it up and hauled 2 people, heavy ice shanty and plow thru deep snow miles across the lake for 2 days. But he said it bogged down. Then seemed to overheat and antifreeze leaked out of overflow bottle. Radiator was clear. Also found snow in air filter box. He replaced the filter and drained melted snow from box. Still no power. Got it home. Soon as I fired it up I could tell it was running only on 1 cylinder. Pushed on coil wires in wheelwell area to make sure they were tight. I have not yet pulled plugs. Started it up and it was running fine after pushing on plug wires. Had power while revving it up in garage. But took for a test ride and as soon as I gave it gas it started sputtering and spitting. Idles fine. While snow plowing when you back up and forget to hold in the backup button, it hardly has any power and sometimes backfires under the seat (can hear the popping backfire). That is the way my atv is acting while driving forward but without the backfiring. No power after throwing it in gear and giving is gas. Sputtering and spitting and seems like there is a speed limiter on the engine. Running non-ethanol high octane gas and son put in can of heat up north. Ran fine last year and this year while plowing before it went up north. Wondering if road salt and crap possibly got into the handlebar back up button and corroded or shorted out the wires?? Dealer service told me to change plugs but it was idling fine. I do have new plugs but doubt if that is the problem. Seems electrical in nature since it was running fine before test drive. Anyone have any ideas how to fix my problem?? My atv was never recalled for those ECM problems, but after reading up on ECM and PDM I wonder if those might be a source of my problem. Battery holds a charge and machine always starts and idles fine. Thanks in advance for your comments. Bewildered In Wisconsin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it for a ride couple days ago during snow storm. Ran fine, had power. Up and down street 5 times for 3 blocks. Got to my driveway, put it in reverse to back into garage, hit the yellow backup button, and it started sputtering again. Threw it in forward to put back on trailer, still sputtering. I had purchased new plugs when I got the atv. Today I got the far right side plug in. Old plug was perfect, no black or carbon build up. Now I cant get to the inner plug. Fingers cant pull plug wire off. Dont feel like pulling gas tank or air intake tubes off. These guys that say to do both from right side of the machine must be magicians. Can barely get my headlight to shine thru the tiny areas to see the plug wire. Downloaded a repair manual thinking it would tell me a trick to get at the 2nd plug..... waste of money. Getting ready to haul it to dealer soon. Fingers arent working well with this below zero temps working in garage with no heat. Going out to try one more time.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Is Check Engine being displayed? If not... maybe check for any pending codes.

Turn ignition switch ON & OFF three times without starting in about 5 seconds and leave in ON position the third time

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Downloaded a repair manual thinking it would tell me a trick to get at the 2nd plug..... waste of money
My 700 is from previous model but other plug isn't too hard to get at with side panels removed. They must have made it harder. IIRC I think I used 1/4 drive with extension and swivels to get at mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked for codes last week and there were none showing. Just got inside the house. took 3 hours to get the inner plug out and new one installed. I used magnetic spark plug socket and 3" extension, along with long flex head 3/8" drive ratchet. Had to do all the work from the right side of atv. Old plugs were perfect, no carbon build up, nice and white and still gapped correctly. Probably the original plugs. Only have 156 hrs/980 miles on the atv. I also tried 1/4" drive with universal joint but things kept pulling apart and falling to the trailer. Started it up and so far it seems okay. No sputtering or hesitation. Pushed the yellow back up/mode button bunch of times and still no sputtering. Will test drive it tomorrow. I'm frozen now, thawing out. Only 5 degrees here. Had ice fishing heater in garage, got to a balmy 20 degrees. Thanks for the ideas. There's no way a guy could change plugs out in the woods with just the atv tool kit and mosquitos buzzing around lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts