Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? I noticed that my exhaust pipe where the two cylinders are combined into one (The "Y") glows red hot after I run the quad for a while. As far as I know the quad is not overheating and the fan kicks on as normal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe its to lean on fuel to air ratio...My guess

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an EFI version and I've had polaris check the TSP sensor last time I was in. I can not adjust anything since it is all sensored.

·
Registered
205 Posts
EFI, I hear you, with no problem with the cooling (no Overheating) Possible intake leak?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have read other posts about the Y pipe getting red hot and some people say its normal.One guy said his gets so hot that it shoots sparks.There is no way that is normal.That would be dangerous,you could start a fire if riding in the woods.I would stop by or call a dealer and ask one of the mechanics first before adjusting the valves or doing anything else to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI: I called the Polaris dealer and he said not to worry about it. He said some glow red and others not and he doesn't know why. He said if I brought it in there is nothing they can check for. He said if there was a problem with the EFI, I would get the code or check engine symbol on my speedo. Also, he said as long as it is not overheating, which it is not, not to worry about it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
No need for adjusting valves as this is a push rod motor. I would check and make sure the pipe is not leaking right from the manifold, keep in mind you may need to replace the exhaust gasket. Also see if the pipe is leaking at any joints as this will cause a lean condition. The pipes have been known to get hot but nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 700 efi and the y pipe is glowing red and backfiring, it had a crack on the joint and I had it welded up. It is still glowing red but no more backfiring. Now when I get through riding the overflow for the radiator starts to spew a little, but its not getting hot, the engine holds steady at about 215 degrees. Any ideas why the overflow is spilling over?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Polaris twin motors have hydraulic lifters. That's why you don't have to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 2005 700 efi and the y pipe is glowing red and backfiring, it had a crack on the joint and I had it welded up. It is still glowing red but no more backfiring. Now when I get through riding the overflow for the radiator starts to spew a little, but its not getting hot, the engine holds steady at about 215 degrees. Any ideas why the overflow is spilling over?
You might want to check the radiator cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts