Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 700 missfiring after solving a heat issue????

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  polaris700twin 
#1 ·
I have an 05 sportsman 700 EFI. recently it has been having heat issues. I would ride it for maybe 2 minutes and it would be flashing HOT. the last time out I got back and some smoke/steam was rolling out of the fenders, and some out of the air box. I shut it off and let it sit, then started it again and it began missfiring. i shut it off and then I took the thermostat off and found that it was stuck shut with something that looks like a roller baring in it. The inside of the engine was bone dry. so I put the hose back onto the engine running it without the thermostat and i filled up the radiator full. This stopped the heat issue and the check engine light went off and wasnt flashing hot after it had warmed up. and the fan kicks on and off properly. What is causing the missfire? it just started today.

#3 ·
Check the spark plugs,check coil wires, run a compression check. it may have messed the first time you had the overheat issue

#5 ·
No, but it could have overheated a wire, a coil or an injector, to cause any or all to fail. Among other stuff.

Steam out of the 'air box'??? THAT is not good and indicates a blown head gasket problem or worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.