Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempted to dive into my 06 sportsman 700 because it wouldn’t turn over and would sometimes back fire when cranking. I pulled out the sparks plugs and grounded them and got no spark on either of them. I replaced the plugs and decided to move on to the ignition coil next (will update when I try). Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be or what to try next?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attempted to dive into my 06 sportsman 700 because it wouldn’t turn over and would sometimes back fire when cranking. I pulled out the sparks plugs and grounded them and got no spark on either of them. I replaced the plugs and decided to move on to the ignition coil next (will update when I try). Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be or what to try next?
Also to mention, it threw the code 21 on the cluster when I checked the diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Code 21 is ambiguous to say the least. Could be fuel most likely electrical, especially in your case as you have described it. I would clean and check the crank sensor connection.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You didn't check the diagnostics, you simply checked the error codes - the system can generate many error codes and still work perfectly fine. The error history can help the technician narrow down the problem when it's plugged in to the diagnostics. I presume it's a 700 EFI and not the carb model?

Loss of spark is almost never the coil - it is spark plugs or spark plug caps first, fuse, relay, switches and wiring connections second, CDI or ECU third, crankshaft position sensor fourth and something else fifth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it’s the efi model. I just changed the spark plugs in the spring and haven’t put many hours on them. How could I check for bad spark plug caps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2007 800 efi, no spark when i put it on the back and turn it over. i check the fuse and no problem. does anyone know the voltage i should be getting to the coil ?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Typically the voltage to the coil will be about 100 volts peak - must be measured with a peak voltage tester or oscilloscope

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy has the same quad just an 800 so I did some switching of fuses and ignition coils and everything worked on his. I tried testing the voltage coming from the ignition coil to the spark plug caps and I didn’t get any reading on both when I tested. I can try new caps or wires and see if that’s the fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts