Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 700 no spark

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  aarongabrysh 
#1 ·
Attempted to dive into my 06 sportsman 700 because it wouldn’t turn over and would sometimes back fire when cranking. I pulled out the sparks plugs and grounded them and got no spark on either of them. I replaced the plugs and decided to move on to the ignition coil next (will update when I try). Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be or what to try next?

#3 ·
Code 21 is ambiguous to say the least. Could be fuel most likely electrical, especially in your case as you have described it. I would clean and check the crank sensor connection.

#4 ·
You didn't check the diagnostics, you simply checked the error codes - the system can generate many error codes and still work perfectly fine. The error history can help the technician narrow down the problem when it's plugged in to the diagnostics. I presume it's a 700 EFI and not the carb model?

Loss of spark is almost never the coil - it is spark plugs or spark plug caps first, fuse, relay, switches and wiring connections second, CDI or ECU third, crankshaft position sensor fourth and something else fifth

#8 ·
My buddy has the same quad just an 800 so I did some switching of fuses and ignition coils and everything worked on his. I tried testing the voltage coming from the ignition coil to the spark plug caps and I didn’t get any reading on both when I tested. I can try new caps or wires and see if that’s the fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.