Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sportsman 700 Ran good yesterday... CONTEST at last post

I have a 2003 sportsman 700 with 75 hrs and 440 miles. It has been pretty pampered since new by original owner. It was running great when I took a 3 hr trip the other day. The next day it was fine but it was having a dead spot when accelerating a few times. The only thing I did after the day of riding was ad some carb cleaner to gas tank. It seemed to stutter a bit when I was driving a little rough and after hard turns. This morning I rode up to my parents a few hundred yards and it sputtered up the hill but still ran.
I went to the local dealer and bought some new plugs, fuel filter and some new fuel(93 octane). I drained the tank, added the new fuel, installed new fuel filter, installed plugs (36 gap) and it's still bad. Actually it getting worse. It will crank up easily but it idles with a bit of a put-put-put type sound. It still idles well but not like it did. If I rev it it will stall but keep running. If I let it idle for a few minutes it will start to rev and then fall on it's face.
I checked all of the vent tubes, filter box, carb to engine hose for cracks. Sprayed carb cleaner around base of carb and at boot for leaks. Checked adjustment for throttle and it has about 1/8" free play.
After that first good day of riding I did run througfh a cold water creek at a good clip. It was about 1' deep and Maybe I got some water on something? Is there any thing on the underside that can't get water on it?
It also seems to be able to rev a good bit better if the choke is half way out.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like a dirty carb to me. You probably loosened some dirt when you put the cleaner in it. I would pull the carb and give it a proper cleaning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a dirty carb to me. You probably loosened some dirt when you put the cleaner in it. I would pull the carb and give it a proper cleaning.

That sounds like a possibility. I'll remove it, clean and update.

I also noticed that the plugs I took out had a white powdery look. I read that means it is running lean. How can I make a adjustment while in the carb. for more fuel?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would look first at reducing the amount of air. It likely has an air leak on the other side of the carb on one of the boots so it is pulling in more air than carb knows about. Start it and spray some starter fluid on the boots and see if the motor speeds up at all.

As far as more gas it is on the needle jet there is a c clip that you can adjust.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
TO richen it up a little pull top off of carb, remove diaphram and needle, lower clip on needle one notchthen try it, also see if pilot screw is set at 2.5 turns out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I removed the carb and I took off the bowl. It was clean from the looks of it but I took out the large jet (155) and brass washer and cleaned it. I also took out the small jet and cleaned it. I removed the diafram and moved the e clip from the middle to one peg down. I also adjusted the screw that has the gold plug. The plug was already removed from mine. It was at 1.5 turns out so I moved it to 2 turns out since it's been running lean.
After installing everthing back as it was it still cranks and idles fine but it will only reach near 1/4 throttle and will bog down. If I pull out the choke half way I can rev it pretty well while playing with the choke.

I've done just about everything I know to do.
New ngk plugs tried 35 and 36 gap
New filter air and fuel
New fuel 93
checked carb tube for cracks with eyes and carb cleaner
no stopped up vent lines
Throttle cable has 1/8" free play

I'll try any other suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Did you remove the small pilot jet, the one thats down in the hole? there is a very small hole in it that plugs easy, sometimes need a tip cleaner or very small wire to get them clean, should be able to blow thru it easily with your mouth if its clean,.Polaris put out a service bulliten a few years ago saying to set pilot screw at 2.5, take pilot screw out while you have jet out, you can blow thru complete circuit with carb cleaner, compressed air.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you remove the small pilot jet, the one thats down in the hole? there is a very small hole in it that plugs easy, sometimes need a tip cleaner or very small wire to get them clean, should be able to blow thru it easily with your mouth if its clean,.Polaris put out a service bulliten a few years ago saying to set pilot screw at 2.5, take pilot screw out while you have jet out, you can blow thru complete circuit with carb cleaner, compressed air.
Yes, I did remove the small jet that was in the hole in the bowl side. I ran a very thin wire through it and then cleaned with carb cleaner. I could blow through it. I also removed the jet on the diafram side and cleaned it. I believe it said 160 or 760?
The only thing I did not do was, I didn't take out the pilot screw behind gold cap. I just adjusted it to 2 turns out. I also did not go past inspecting the pin under the float. It had a black soft tip and looked pointed...
Another note is I did see a bit of gas in the hose that drains the bowl before I started all this.

So I should remove small jet in hole and then remove pilot screw above bowl...then blow through the passageway between them?

Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took carb off again and cleaned all jets pilot screw through pilot jet, rechecked float needle and seat, turned pilot screw to 2 and 2.5 turns out, re-checked for leaks around front and rear carb tubes with carb cleaner and still idles fine but bogs unless choke is out. When warm choke will kill the motor if not revving it.

any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Check the vent line from the back of cylinder to the air box. there is a recall on them, the white filter looking thing gets moisture in it and cracks causing a n air leak, they will give you a new line from recall, call dealer with vin#

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the vent line from the back of cylinder to the air box. there is a recall on them, the white filter looking thing gets moisture in it and cracks causing a n air leak, they will give you a new line from recall, call dealer with vin#
Thanks for the tip. I basically ran outside and took it off the atv. The filter was good but the hose was swollen on one end and the clip was not holding it well. I quickly replaced it all with some red air line. I cranked it up and still have the same problem.
Have you ever seen a grown man cry?

I'll take any suggestions and try them out....anyone?

Tell ya what. I used to be in the knife business and I have a few leftovers. The guy who gives me the advice that solves my problem wins a;
NIB Kershaw Injection 3.5 knife shipped for FREE

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
Have you removed the needle and seats in the carb ? I've seen dirt and junk acumulate and restrict the flow

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has to be a fuel/air mixture problem. Could be Hi screw by the sounds of it and also the carb could still be dirty. Spray cleaner can not do what a complete soak in carb cleaner can. Have also seen similar from slightly damaged or scratched needles. Im no tuner by any means, just what i have seen working on a few small engines.

·
Registered
260 Posts
did you check the diaphragm for holes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. I did check the needle and seat.
I'll reply to above tips one at a time;

I did check the needle and seat. the needle had no wear that I could see although it did have a light impression or ring near the tip where it seats. I took the gold bracket below the float off but could not figure out how to get the seat out and did not want to ruin it or the carb. I did spray some carb cleaner down the seat hole and through the fuel inlet leg.

What is a high screw? Is it the pilot screw outside of the bowl?

I did check the diaphragm and it looked good and was still pumping(holding pressure) as it was stuck to the lid. I took the needle and cleaned it then set the e-clip down one notch from the middle position it was at originally.
Here's the list of what I've tried

New ngk plugs tried 35 and 36 gap
New filters (air and fuel)
Drained tank and added New fuel 93 octane
checked carb tube for cracks with eyes and carb cleaner
Checked air box tube
Sprayed carb cleaner on front and back carb tubes including carb gasket areas... with no change in rpms
Checked vent line from back of head to air box
no stopped up vent lines
Gas cap is working to vent
there is some gas getting in the oil but not much( still oily but smells like a little gas got in the crankcase)
Throttle cable has 1/8" free play
took out carb and cleaned jets and float needle and seat, adjusted needle e-clip to 1 notch down, checked pilot screw and set at 2 turns out

Idles pretty good and cranks at first try usually. Sometimes first crank will sound like it's barely able to crank over but on second try it cranks immediately. Won't rev past 1/8-1/4 throttle. Will fully rev if I pull out choke 2/3 of the way but will die if I pull out choke at idle.

Thanks again and I'll continue to take any tips before having to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, there is a chance you have a vacuum leak between the carb and the engine and spraying carb cleaner around there might not cause a change in rpm. I would be a little concerned about the impression on the needle. With that said, i still do not believe the carb is clean. You really need to pull everything apart and soak it submerged overnight. I would consider taking the carb into a shop and having them do that and put in their carb cleaner because it swishes the cleaner around and cleans better. Then dont forget to move the clip back up. Could also have the shop look at the needle and see what they think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, there is a chance you have a vacuum leak between the carb and the engine and spraying carb cleaner around there might not cause a change in rpm. I would be a little concerned about the impression on the needle. With that said, i still do not believe the carb is clean. You really need to pull everything apart and soak it submerged overnight. I would consider taking the carb into a shop and having them do that and put in their carb cleaner because it swishes the cleaner around and cleans better. Then dont forget to move the clip back up. Could also have the shop look at the needle and see what they think.

I noticed that my plugs were white. I have read that these carbs run lean from the factory and that I should go down a notch to make it run richer and up a notch for leaner on the e-clip. Does that make any sense?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I gave up. I took it to the dealer this morning. I was dreading it because the owner is one of those guys that thinks he's Gods gift to everyone. He won't shut up long enough for you to ask a question or make a statement. Luckily I just dealt with the lead tech there and he was very easy going and was happy to have a list of all I've done to it lately.
He thinks from the sound of it that it's the needle and seat or some other carb issue. Thankfully he doubts it's got to do with the ducati ignition.

I'll update with what he finds.
Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts