Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
So i got my 800 at the polaris shop for a long time.
To make a long story short. Got i back a few days ago after alot of work, and inspections.
But im pretty sure they dident check the variator, i got no problems with it, but a friend to me that i was a pretty common thing to check?
So my question is. is it hard to check condition of the variator and do they need to have a look at it?

about 500 hours and 650 miles.

·
13,365 Posts
We generally refer to them as "clutches".
Not sure how you could possibly have 500 hours and 650 miles? That would mean you're averaging only 1.3 mph. Unless you let the machine sit running at idle all the time that doesn't seem realistic.
500 hours with 6500 miles would be more normal for an average of around 13 mph
If that is the case, then YES you definitely need to service the clutches/variator and replace the belt.
Polaris recommends cleaning and inspection of the belt and clutches for wear about every 1000 miles depending on riding conditions.

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
So my question is. is it hard to check condition of the variator and do they need to have a look at it?
Variator? Most Chinese machines have variators that drive the clutch and the clutch drives the rear wheels or transmission - the Polaris has a clutch that drives a second clutch that drives the transmission.

The only inspection by an owner is visual for damage and odd wear - a mechanic needs to remove and disassemble the clutch for a full inspection

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, mean clutch.
And yes. They previous owner had a big farm, but was had health issues so he used this atv as helping device. So alot sitting on it. Not alot of drivning.
I may need to call the shop then and asked if they took alook at that.
First time they got it a ask for a "overall condition" check, so i guess this would include that. Atleast open it up for a visual check

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
Depends on the shop - an overall inspection for some means driving it around the lot and checking that all the lights work, the brakes stop it and the tires have air in them (not necessarily properly inflated, but just that they look like they have the same amount of air - fully 90% of all ATV's have over inflated tires and 5% have under inflated tires - 99.9% have uneven tire pressures). Another shop may actually remove some covers to inspect, but mostly you have to be specific as to what needs to be done. The brakes may work, but the fluid needs to be changed - a condition check means if they work, then the condition is OK and they are done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see.
Well, last time i did new cylinder, pistons etc at the shop. Alot of work. Thats why i want everything to be as good as it can be.
Atleast havent hit the miles for it yet.
Got a new belt at home, bought one just in case before. Stupied of me that i dident ask them to check the clutch when they had it.

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
They may well have checked the clutch, but every shop is different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. They need to take the atv for some missed work anyway. So gonna tell them to take alook at it at the same time. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts