Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Sportsman 800 that I bought used about a year ago. I have been working out the bugs and getting it back up to a happy healthy status. It's getting good now. The previous owner had the headlights modified somehow so that all three lights are on all the time, whenever the headlight switch is turned on. Not sure how it was wired, but I do plan to dig in a check it out. Recently out hunting in the evening, I did have the lights on most of the time we were riding. More than any other times I had been using the ATV. This time, the headlight bub in the center pod, got so hot it melted the large headlight housing. The back reflector area was toasted. I ordered a new housing for $100 from my local Polaris dealer and installed it yesterday. I have not yet wired up the bulb as I fear it will melt the housing again. Yesterday evening out hunting I just used the 2 regular lower headlights.

Has anyone experienced this, or heard of this happening? I suspect there is some redneck hillbilly wiring going on. Maybe direct full amperage off the battery or alternator or something? The wiring harness looks fine. No heat damage that I can see so far. Just the housing.

Keith

For fun, here it is:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The 3 to 1 headlight mod is super common. That is not really something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3 to 1 headlight mod is super common. That is not really something out of the ordinary.
Yeah I realize that it is a common mod, just thinking it should work fine being it is so common. I suspect shoddy wiring, just thought I'd enquire here first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check for a small relay that is installed in the pod.. Might be installed between hi headlight wires

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just put 50 watt bulbs in all three of my lights but dont run all three all the time

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
See if it has one of the cheap 3 headlight kits in it.

It looks like this. I put one in my 700 but haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The PO probably installed higher wattage bulbs that OEM which generate more heat and can lead to melting.
Exactly. Especially if he just through something in it so that it would work for a test ride.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I wasn't aware that they made anything higher than a 55 watt 800 series bulb, 50W is already factory so I don't see an extra 5 melting a housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts