Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 800 - hight at the rear

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  knfevg 
#1 ·
This weekend I was riding on some fast trails with in a team with several BRPs and I noticed that my back wheels hit the plastic on hitting a bump/hole. I compared the clearance between the wheels and the plastic on the Sportsman to the one on BRP and it seems the the general riding hight is similar but the wheel is closer to the plastics on the SM. Could you confirm that it is true or just looks like that? If I don't want to be hitting the plastics should I lift the rear end or set the setting ring on the the back to hard?

#3 ·
Are you running stock tires?

Crank up your springs, or upgrade to hd springs. My highlifter springs made a huge difference in ride quality. And i don't think i could bottom out the back if i tred.

#4 ·
Tried to crank up the springs: soacked them in WD40 for 30 minutes but didn't find anything to us to rotate them... which tool could I use, besides buying the original Polaris shock spanner wrench

#6 · (Edited)
Yup turn them up. Stock is lowest setting.

They are/will be hard to move! Once you get the lube in there you wil get them. Also try taking the weight off. Lift the machine off the ground but NOT from suspension. This will take weight off adjusters so they move easier.
I bought a great and cheap tool to adjust. Uses a ratchet or breaker bar for more leverage. But channel locks work as will large vice grips. But neither will allow much adjustment before re adjusting grip. The Proper Tool is best.

Look at this on eBay:

Motorcycle Shock Adjustment Spanner Spring Preload Tool

http://bit.ly/19SQCl4

Also you can get HD springs or even Polaris rubber spacers. Easy to install. Spacers are about 30$ and springs 125$.

Look at this on eBay:

Polaris ATV Plow/Suspension Coil Spring Spacer Kit OEM

http://bit.ly/11iMfcZ
http://bit.ly/19SRo1o

CW

#7 ·
CW do you use the plow spring spacers with your plow ? Do you leave them in all the time?
I guess they would help if somebody had a bottoming out problem with their tires hitting the fenders also.

#8 ·
Actually I use the spacers in the REAR! ;(.

I mean rear springs. ::)

I haven't yet installed them but I'm hoping just to make it a bit stiffer when riding two up.

The HD springs I have up front work just fine with the plow on. ;)
CW

#9 ·
Removed the wheels again, found a spanner and tried to turn them up and realized that they are already in the highest setting (the spring is on highest tension/shortest length). So, I guess I have to do a lift on the rear....BTW, why do I have this issue? Is it because I'm running a bugger tires than stock or just because I'm fat and too heavy? :)

#10 ·
what rear is your quad? possibly your spings are shot, I would replace the springs with HD springs, I'm running 28" tires and didn't have a problem with the stock springs for 2 years and finally noticed the spings allowing the rear end to sag, replaced with HD spings and returned ride height to normal, little stiffer but nothing to noticeable

#14 ·
#16 ·
I wouldn't say its better. Just as good though and cheaper. Plus you could go get the parts today!

#17 ·
Thanks.... I dont have spring compressors though :)

Could someone tell me what is the hight I should measure from the floor to the bottom of the rear diff? I would measure mine to see if the springs are done...

#18 ·
They don't ''lift'' it...

Go and grab the back of your machine... now lift the rear tires off the ground and carefully set it back down. Now measure... this is as high as it can possibly get without changing parts. (NOT SPRINGS) EVEN with new springs, it will not get one centimeter taller than it is now.

CW

#19 ·
On my 500HO I took 2" ABS pipe connectors and put them under the spring and the spacer collar. They fit just perfect and have lasted almost six months now. I would like to have used a metal one but these are great. And they were about 2 bux each.

My springs were so saggy that without any rider the axle would go straight across. When you sat on it, the rear diff was actually lower than the out side hubs. It was quite sad..

#20 ·
Received the Polaris Coil spacers today and tried to install them. First tried the rear and than the front but they simply not suitable for the springs: the distance between the coils is larger than the rubber spacer! I lifted the quad and put them in between the coils in the center of the spring. When I lowered the quad the spring compressed under it's weight but not enough to set into the spacers (I could remove them from the spring without lifting the quad. Thus there is NO effect in having them there.... Moreover, when one of the rear wheels will be unloaded when I ride, the spacer might jump out and I will loose it. Any ideas what did I do wrong?

#21 ·
Not 100% but I think they sit on top of the springs, not between the coils.

#25 ·
What are you asking?

#27 ·
Why the coil spacers that I got from Polaris do nothing when I insert them in between the coils (seems like the space between the coild is too big and the spacers do not hold in there). Is there a way contacting polaris for support?

#26 ·
The polaris spacers go in between the coils about halfway...
That's why I just made my own... didn't like the design.
Made my own from PVC... cost a only couplebucks and couldn't be happier.
I did a full write up with pics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.