·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Sportsman 800
Stock Performance wise.
27/11/14 ITP Mudlites
Brand new Polaris belt

Compression is good, fluids are good, intake is good. Smoke tested intake system for leaks.

From a standstill in high gear it will pull the tires up in the air just sitting down. It gets up and goes on low end very good. But once near 40 really starts slowing down.

For example. I also own a 400 and 500 sportsman. It will pull away from a standstill like nothing. But will only barely pull past them once all up to speed.

What can I do to bring some top end back to this quad. Im not looking to make it a speed monster but just be able to keep up with buddies. and at least put my other quads far back.

Do i need a clutch kit? Exhaust? Please help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1100 Miles 240 hours.

I bought it from my grandfather who used it on the farm. It was stock until i purchased it. And he only used it for farm duty. Never was beat on. Spent most of its time in low.

I put new rims and tires on right away as there were pretty worn.

It does have EBS

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
check the clutch buttons and Helix in the secondary. If it doesn't open enough it will restrict your top end. Does it backfire and run at high revs when you give it lots of gas and you get to near 40?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No back fires, i already changed the fuel pump, forgot to list that.

First ride i took it out and it starts loosing power bad, tested fuel pressure and it was low 27 psi, installed a new pump and works fine now.

I did how ever install a walbro 255 pump. Wounder if its over running the factory regulator?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My quad gets to 40 a tad slower than that. But no way near anything past that. I dont think it would go past 50 if i stayed in it forever.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you haven't already put a new belt on and cleaned out the clutches, I'd start there. After that I'd be looking into a clutch kit. No buttons on ebs secondary. But can't hurt to check it out and see if something is worn. I'm sure it's all in your clutches with the new tires on there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the guys at QSC today and he has me setup with what i need :)

Great guys and one of the few who understand the clutch setup. I over nighted it and after answering millions of my questions i promptly got a tracking number. Well see tomorrow :)

·
11,142 Posts
If it was run in low most of its life, I'd guess that the helix in the secondary has a notch worn in it not allowing it to upshift smoothly and completely. Have you noticed any hesitation in backshift when you let off the throttle or start down hill and the EBS doesn't hold back at first??...that's one of the more noticeable symptoms? The helix is pricey and you can replace the whole secondary for about the same $ if that's the problem.
Also, what size and weight tires did you put on? Big heavy tires will rob a lot of top end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sub'd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts