Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use their ATV for working food plots etc? I'm looking to buy a drag harrow for mine and want to get the biggest one I can but I don't know what the limit is that an 800 can pull without overloading it. Anyone have any experience with something like this. A set of discs are going to be on my shopping list also.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It should be on a a sticker on the back of the quad unless you pressure washed it off. 1500 seems a little high for the 800. I know my 850 is rated for 1500 and it has way more horepower than the old 800.

I'm sure you can pull it. Just make sure you don't burn up a belt making it happen.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Right from the owners manual.

Receiver Hitch Tongue Capacity 150 lbs. (68 kg) (Rear rack capacity and
tongue weight not to exceed 200 lbs./91 kg)
Hitch Towing Rating 1500 lbs. (680.4 kg)
Unbraked Trailer Towing Capacity* 1914 lbs. (868 kg)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right from the owners manual.

Receiver Hitch Tongue Capacity 150 lbs. (68 kg) (Rear rack capacity and
tongue weight not to exceed 200 lbs./91 kg)
Hitch Towing Rating 1500 lbs. (680.4 kg)
Unbraked Trailer Towing Capacity* 1914 lbs. (868 kg)
I know how much the drag harrows actually weigh (up to 250 lbs) but what I don't know is how much resistance they create. These are only 5 ft long;

Order # Width Weight List Price
ED8WH5R 4' 0" 96# $330.00
ED8WH6R 4 '9" 116# $385.00
ED8WH7R 5' 7" 136# $430.00
ED8WH8R 6' 5" 156# $485.00

But I have seen them in all different configurations such as:
4' x 8'
4.5' x 5.5' (from Cabela's - 124 lbs)
and more

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should be good with a drag up to about 6 feet. I pull a 5 footer with my 500. Don't put any weight on it, just make more passes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Towing capacity is based on stopping ability; that 800 will easily pull 1500 lbs. The 800 is geared lower than the 850 by the way, not saying that the 800 will out pull the 850, just saying the 800 won't have any problems pulling 1500 pounds.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
grunthunter I haved used mine 800 for discing and it will pull a 6footer like xjcraver said just fine, there is one thing to watch out for depending on the year of your machine. if its a 07 or older the heat deflectors arnt that great for the exhaust and you can melt the bottom of your seat if you disc to long.the o8 and up have better deflectors but be aware. and of course keep it in low.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be good with a drag up to about 6 feet. I pull a 5 footer with my 500. Don't put any weight on it, just make more passes.
I was initially figuring it might be able to pull a 4'w x 6'l but since then I've seen some 8' x 8' ones being advertised for ATV's. One web site said it required 2hp per ft of width but didn't mention how long it could be. It actually has to be a function of sq ft and not just width by itself. I also know that the real limitation is probably going to be how much it actually weighs and how difficult it'll be to man handle around :)

Is yours 5 ft wide or 5 ft long?

·
Registered
26 Posts
you need to give some consideration to what sort of ground you're dealing with and how deep you want to work. i made a drag out of steel floor grading and some added weight to clean off my trail. i used to pull it with my old 400 sportsman before i got the 800. but most of my trail is sand. watch out for clay and deep rocks. good luck JC

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Towing capacity is based on stopping ability; that 800 will easily pull 1500 lbs. The 800 is geared lower than the 850 by the way, not saying that the 800 will out pull the 850, just saying the 800 won't have any problems pulling 1500 pounds.
this is so true. the 800 is geared lower then the 850 is....and these machines can PULL well over 1500lbs in low gear no problem, they just have a hard time STOPPING that much weight. when you get that high up the weight tends to push the ATV forward and you loose traction through your tires

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you need to give some consideration to what sort of ground you're dealing with and how deep you want to work. i made a drag out of steel floor grading and some added weight to clean off my trail. i used to pull it with my old 400 sportsman before i got the 800. but most of my trail is sand. watch out for clay and deep rocks. good luck JC
Clay .... Deep Rocks ????? ..... What are those? ha ha ha We're in Florida, wish we had some 'real' dirt down here ha ha. The hardest thing I'll have to deal with is tough grass roots and Palmetto roots until I get them all cleared out. I know I'll have to disc it real good first, probably will have to get someone with a 'real' tractor to help me get things started so I'll be able to manage it. I think these Drag Harrows are only meant to smooth the ground out after it's been plowed or disc'd up.

When you guys are saying 6 ft, are you refering to width or length?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts