Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a great deal on an 08 steath black sportsman 800 that looks to be in great shape. only problem is that it has 4600 miles, is that too many? how long will a properly maintained 800 last?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? i've heard of sportsman 500s getting over 10,000 miles whats the most you can get out of a 800?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't looked at it yet, i want to know if its worth the 4hr drive therel

·
Registered
765 Posts
i found a great deal on an 08 steath black sportsman 800 that looks to be in great shape. only problem is that it has 4600 miles, is that too many? how long will a properly maintained 800 last?

a lot depends on how they maintained it. if they didn't abuse the machine and did the recommended maintenance i'd say you'd be safe. but then again any higher mileage machine can have problems. just look the machine over and if it looks good and clean i'd say go for it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there anything to look at in particular on the 07 800's?

·
11,162 Posts
I've got 9k on mine with just normal replacement of wear parts. You'll need a jack to check bushings, bearings, tie rods, boots, brakes, drive lines and check for leaks. Ask the seller about service records. If you have the VIN # ahead of time you can have any dealer run a check on all service and repairs that any Polaris dealership has done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
polman is yours an 800?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 07 800efi has needed at 2700 miles, New fuel regulator, My fuel pressure would vary from 35-52 psi at the fuel rail causing all kinds of performance issues. If it would run lean it would make the engine very hot, heating the gas tank so I wrapped it in heat reflective tape. Changed my tires the other day and realized I have 1/4" slop on right rear hub.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would check signs of oil leaks, my 600 would leak oil from the valve cover so check that, could also check the u joints if they have any play. Check behind the radiator if theres any mud, if there is that would determine that he rode it in the mud a lot and never washed it good afterwards. The 500s seem to last longer than the twins .

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does the price reflect the miles? Others have hit the high points to look at.

I would think with care they could see 10K+ miles. I would also expect to spend $2000 on it over the next couple years if the engine and transmission proves OK in the coming months and that would be reflected in my offer.

Locally a used shop is offering a 2013 550 with power steering, winch and 200 miles for $8100 that the buyer took on two hunting trips and in the ad it looks new. My point is the more you pay the more you can get. :)

Older is OK for the gear heads with grease under the nails but not so much for guys that uses the shop of a dealer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is priced lower, if it looks/drive good should i go for it or not? i'm just worried about the engine holding up

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
What is the price on the 800? You can get a brand new 13' 500 for about 5 grand out the door around here now.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it needs a battery but i can have it for $3600, a new 500 here is around $5500

·
Registered
978 Posts
i just bought my 2013 800 new for 6300 in august. love it i have no complaints. i think the 800 is a good machine. love the power but glad i didnt go smaller! had to get a new front hub put on at 85 miles but that was just a defect

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would check signs of oil leaks, my 600 would leak oil from the valve cover so check that, could also check the u joints if they have any play. Check behind the radiator if theres any mud, if there is that would determine that he rode it in the mud a lot and never washed it good afterwards. The 500s seem to last longer than the twins .
Interesting on the valve cover. I bought a used 2002 700 in the spring with low miles/hours and thought it had a exhaust leak, come to find out it was the o ring seal for the exhaust. Pulled it apart the other day and the original oring had been crushed in 2 places. I'm betting it was that way from the factory and was dripping onto the y at the exhaust manifold, but the other guy didn't ride it enough to notice...

was your o ring crushed?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting on the valve cover. I bought a used 2002 700 in the spring with low miles/hours and thought it had a exhaust leak, come to find out it was the o ring seal for the exhaust. Pulled it apart the other day and the original oring had been crushed in 2 places. I'm betting it was that way from the factory and was dripping onto the y at the exhaust manifold, but the other guy didn't ride it enough to notice...

was your o ring crushed?
I really never bothered to fix it, but there was some oil residue around the exhuast seal but i thought that the oil came from the valve cover. The previous owner really abused the atv so i guess it got overheated and that was the cause for the valve cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts