Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sportsman 800 EFI. I've been noticing that the atv will squat even with as little 150lbs added (2nd rider) if I put a third it would bottom out with tires hitting my fenders. Even with just the one rider it goes down, and if the rider gets up it does not go back to where it should be.. I have to pull up on the rear and it goes back to the way it should be. This has been going on probably after 6 months of having it. Yes I've tightened the suspension as far as it will go with no difference. Even if I hit a big bump with a rider the tires will hit my fenders. With no one on the bike and me having pulled up on the rear bumper there is alot of room between tires and fenders, 28 outlaws on the bike. Is this a shock issue or springs or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME MUD MAN! ;)

The Sportsmans are known for there suspensions. This means that they ride soft. This is ok for a light to lite average weight pilot. NOT great for real sized people or bigger folks and of coarse two up riding.

I recommend heavy duty springs! I added them to my 700 and its one of the best things I have done on my machine ! Pretty easy job too. Strut compressor is needed for rears. Not so much for the fronts. No where near the power of a auto strut in these springs.

Highlighter sells them so does EPI as well as factory. I have read many times that they are made by Same company.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I see you have 28" tires.... no wonder with 2up riding (300+ lbs total rider weight) you get some tire rub!! Stock tire size is 25", so at 28" +/- you've already lost 1.5-1.75" of fender clearance right there..... add the second or even a third as mentioned (really???) and you may/do get some rub on bumps/suspension travel at speed. If this is how you ride it.... I'd have to agree with the HD Springs idea. I'de even put them on all 4 corners and add the adjusters to the front at the same time!!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool guys thank you. Ill do that, I thought my shocks were bad or something. Especially with me having to pull up on the bumper to get it to return to normal position with no one on it. Figured it would return on its on without weight on it. Greatly appreciate.

·
Premium Member
11,922 Posts
ditto on the hd springs. just a heads up i dont plow with my ride but recently i just removed the front spring adjusters that i put on as one of my first moods. so im cranked up in the rear to the second to last setting on epi hd springs and running epi hd springs in the front with no adjuster. with 5psi in my big horns on 14" rims i think i have achieved the best handling, smoothest riding, and best traction so far with this bike.

one of the reasons i removed the front adjusters was the switchbacks down at hatfield mccoy were a pain in the azz. the bike just pushed.

Reactions: Josh C
1 - 5 of 5 Posts