Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I picked up a 2012 800efi from an insurance auction, the speedo that came with the bike was badly damaged and needed to be replaced. I was able to get a reading on the original speedo mileage (122 miles) but the "new" speedo I bought on eBay is reflecting mileage of 4135.

Anyway to "reset" the mileage, or "input" the milage easily? Not that it really matters, but it would be nice.

This bike has a salvage title, and if I ever sold it, I would disclose the fact that the actual mileage is somewhat unknown.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
There isn't any way for you to do it, no. And I don't even then a dealer can do it hooked up the Digital Wrench. I know your intentions are good, but could you image the amount of fraud that could open by allowing owners or even dealers the ability to reset or change the ODO.

Probably the only ones who could would be polaris by sending them both units (and even than I'm not sure they can).

Honestly, it's not going to effect value much if any. It's already a salvage title. I'd just keep receipts of the new speedo purchase, and a note on the mileage and have at her. Start your maintenance tracking from the new ODO number, and than you can always do the math to figure out "true" miles on the unit with your record but to be safe always report it as mileage unknown. It sounds like you know that already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, sort of what I thought. And it makes good sense, i just figured since anyone is $300 dollars away from replacing a speedo with a brand new zero'd speedo that the fraud issue is not really preventable in any case.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts