Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm new on here. I had a SRA 650 brute(broke) force and sold it and now I'm lookin to jump to a polaris. So here's the question (a pretty common one) I cant decide whether to buy an 800 or an 850. Either way it will be used rather than new more than likely. I will pretty much be on the trails and in heavy mud/water. I'm planning on snorkeling it and adding a 2-3 inch lift and 29.5 terminators if that will have any effect on which I should choose. Could ya help me out on this decision? I've read some topics on this but nobody ever seems to be specific about how they will be using it. I'd be thankful for some help.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think if ur gonna run big tires ur gonna have to upgrade the clutch and axles on either. But with big tires I think the 25% more power the 850 makes would be the better bike for ur intended use. Just my .02

2013 850ho

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'd go 850 as well if you're stuck on the big bore. but you'll definitely need bigger axles and a clutch kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I knew the axles would be soon after the larger tires and at least a slight clutch change up. I'm kinda leaning toward the 850. I hear they are a pain to work on but I work on CAT equipment all day so it can't be that bad lol. I'm assuming aftermarket parts will be meet expensive for the 850 though?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
it's going to be expensive either way.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Having just completed my post break-in maintenance on my XP 850 Touring, I can tell you that the 850 is a bit of a challange to work on in some aspects... Mainly accessing and removing the clutch cover for inspection/cleaining.

Getting to the grease zerks for the suspension bushings on the front requires a bit of flexibility.

Most of all though, it just requires patience. I would never attempt to do anything in a hurry, as long as you're patient and have some time to spare, it's not too bad. But if you're in a rush, you'll get pissed off quick trying to work on these things.

I've never worked on an 800, so I can't offer any opinions on that. I would go for the 850 just because the XP chassis is more comfortable for me. I tried out a couple 570's and 800's... I liked the XP better.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, Ergo's are going to be A LOT different between the 800 and the 850. get which ever one fits better.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
And the 850 won't burn the shit out of your right leg.

I'm not sure how much different the touring clutch cover is, but I can have mine off in about 5-10 minutes. That includes wheel and frame brace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really need to drive both of them I think but I have a feeling ill like the 850 better being as the 800's are wider in the seating and I'm not exactly tall I'm only 5'7 so shorter legs are something I have to take into effect too lol. Any opinions as far as reliability between th 2? Keep I'm mind I'm a mechanic and I always keep my maintenance up to par. And thanks btw y'all have been pretty helpful so far.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the only complaints I hear about the engines on either is when people take them swimming and forget the life preservers (snorkels and dielectric grease)

I remember hearing complaints about the location of the fuse block, but I can't remember which engine/model that was for.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have an 800, they are stupid simple to work on, from greasing, oil changes, spark plugs, clutch work. They are also reliable as hell because they have been around for so long. With that said I will be jumping to an 850(hopefully a 900) XP in as little as two years.

The extra power of the 850 is what I am looking at, along with the look and plastic color options. Downfall is I know they are a pain to work on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really need to drive both of them I think but I have a feeling ill like the 850 better being as the 800's are wider in the seating and I'm not exactly tall I'm only 5'7 so shorter legs are something I have to take into effect too lol. Any opinions as far as reliability between th 2? Keep I'm mind I'm a mechanic and I always keep my maintenance up to par. And thanks btw y'all have been pretty helpful so far.
I have had both and rode them in many conditions. 850XP is by far more comfy and powerful. Smoother with the engine vibration and quieter....except when you want it loud, lol.

Ease of maintenance from one to the other is 50/50 for me. Battery, rad, etc was a pain on the 800 but the clutch placement at the back of the engine on the 850 isn't as accessible as the 800 but I think it would make for easy snorkelling.

I haven't had the 850 long enough to speak on dependability but the 800 was very dependable.

With the upgrading you want to do I would go with the extra horses.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Get the 850, a pre-2012 will be easier to snorkel.
Those terms fit with just hd springs and some rear fender trimming.
Do you have any width restrictions? it gets pretty wide with this setup and flairs are good idea.
For sure plan on a clutch kit, the stock setup licks.
I havent broke an axel yet, despite what everone says on here about them being twigs.
Power steering is awesome, esp. with big tires.
Dielectric grease your electrical connections and then its just reg maintenance.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
807, your clutch kit is a HUGE factor in why you haven't lost an axle yet. through in better driving and a bit of dumb luck and there you have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I kinda figured a clutch kit would help me some. Plus 9 times outta 10 I'm pretty easy on one an more about throttle control than just bustin wide open. My main thing was just makin sure nobody has had constant problems with th 850. I've seen some friends with 33 in terminators just haul wide open through wicked Stuff several times before they had any axle issues. And from what I've seen it's pretty tough to follow in an 850's footsteps. I think it's pretty much a done deal I want the 850 lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
And yeah 807 I don't really want it to be just crazy wide just cuz of trail capabilities. You think it would fit in the back of an 03 f150 with the set up you mentioned?
I'm running a 4+3 offset rim with a 27 inch tire and it makes the rear width about 54-55 inches, front is a little less. I use a trailer to haul even before adding the wheels because of the length of the touring and my short box truck...I don't like the whole back end sitting on the tailgate cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Width is really my main concern cuz I have a stepside truck which is only like 57 inches maybe. And I don't plan on buying a touring anyways. But I won't need to haul it that often cuz I'm literally not even 2 miles from the entrance to Taylor county boondocks which is were I ride mainly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts