Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2015 sportsman 850 about a month ago. Have a little over 100 miles on it so far but this weekend i noticed my hand break was loose after having it locked on for any period of time (about an hour) and this was friday. Now sunday after riding all weekend I have no hand break at all. Kind of worried Bout if factory 6 month warranty covers this. And if its broke something within 100 miles what is going to happen at 1000+ miles? Sketches me out a little bit!! Anyone else have this issue or input on this?? Much appreciated

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have never left my handbrake on.

It's possible you had a small leak in the line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You never lock it when its on the trailer? Ive grown up doing it, thinking that was normal. I dont trust just putting it in park while traveling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hand brake

I've been an hydraulic mechanic all my adult life. I can assure you there is no O ring made that is 100% leak proof. The reason is it must have some leakage to lubricate the O rings or they will roll in the groove. The seepage rate is small but it will release the pressure or bypass the O ring or seal. What does the reservoir fluid level indicate. If low, it will be loss of fluid. Look for connection fittings between the master cylinder and calipers for evidence of leakage.. Remember they don't hold a lot of fluid. Hope this helps.:cowboy:

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I lock the brake every time I put them on the trailer, or get off while stopped on a slope. When I unload from the trailer, the brake has definitely softened up, but one squeeze and it is back to full firm again. You must have a leak somewhere in your system. A check of the brake fluid reservoir will tell you if that is the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just taking it in, in the morning... Still have warranty and dont want to do anything that would mess that up for now.. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just taking it in, in the morning... Still have warranty and dont want to do anything that would mess that up for now.. Thanks for the input guys
Probably the best idea, use that warranty while you got it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all was covered, a seal went out in the master cylinder, looked like metal shavings and really dark colored fluid. Getting the "aftermarket" warranty once factory is up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts