Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. 2011 Sportsman 850 EFI (X2 model) that will not start. No voltage gets to the starter solenoid. The solenoid relay in the fuse box is good and clicks when the key is turned to start position. I replaced the start key switch, battery voltage is good. Have tried to start in N, P and H, L all combinations with and without the brake on, still no juice to solenoid. Engine will crank if I hotwire solenoid directly to battery. The very last time I was riding it, the temp red light icon came on before I turned the engine off. Not sure if that is related but do not believe engine was overheating. Could it be ECU? Any ideas? Thank you in advance. Jim

·
Premium Member
11,330 Posts
and the kill switch isn't in the "OFF" position??

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
862 Posts
Wow, thats awesome, I’m SO glad you found and fixed the problem! Has been said before, this site is a Goldmine of knowledge, Thanks for Sharing!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, thats awesome, I’m SO glad you found and fixed the problem! Has been said before, this site is a Goldmine of knowledge, Thanks for Sharing!!
I have same type of issue. 2012 850. 12.4 volts at starter. It will just click. Put on a new starter. Just click. Cleaned all grounds and connections. Click. Next step is a reflash I guess. Ordered a new square resetting breaker in hopes it is that but again, I have 12.4 volts.at starter. Screwdriver will turn it over. Very annoying. Less than 500 miles

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
If the click is the solenoid on the starter motor, you have a bad solenoid and need to replace the starter motor - if the click is the starter relay in the fuse box, then replace the relay in the fuse box.

It's not good enough to have 12v to the starter motor, you have to get 12v on the wht/red wire on the small terminal when the switch is in the start position.

If you remove the wht/red wire and jump from the battery side of the solenoid to the control voltage terminal and the starter works, then you need to find out why you have no voltage on the wht/red wire

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the click is the solenoid on the starter motor, you have a bad solenoid and need to replace the starter motor - if the click is the starter relay in the fuse box, then replace the relay in the fuse box.

It's not good enough to have 12v to the starter motor, you have to get 12v on the wht/red wire on the small terminal when the switch is in the start position.

If you remove the wht/red wire and jump from the battery side of the solenoid to the control voltage terminal and the starter works, then you need to find out why you have no voltage on the wht/red wire

View attachment 143412

View attachment 143413
I jumped from the positive terminal on the starter solenoid to the control terminal (where the white/red wire was plugged in) and I was able to start the machine. Where should I look to see why the white/red wire is not getting power?

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Starter solenoid relay is the first suspect - swap it with another relay and try it - if that doesn't work, then you will have to determine if the relay is operational and if it is then the failure is either the wire from the relay to the solenoid or a loss of power on the blu/yel wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Starter solenoid relay is the first suspect - swap it with another relay and try it - if that doesn't work, then you will have to determine if the relay is operational and if it is then the failure is either the wire from the relay to the solenoid or a loss of power on the blu/yel wire.
Swapped it with another relay and it didn't start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is embarrassing but true. It was the battery. After I swapped out a starter. A solenoid. The resetting breaker. After all that I bought a new battery and it fired right up. I bet I did not need anything but all along. And it read 12.4. At battery and at the starter. I'm betting battery all along....

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,194 Posts
A Volt meter is your friend.
1609275070051.gif

Reactions: Luann

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the relay operate?
I swapped the fan relay in the fuse box with the start solenoid relay and it still just clicked. I was using a pair of needle nose vise grips to get the relay out and when I clamped around the start solenoid relay the bike sounded like it was going to start. I'm trying to figure out how to test the relay. I'm not the best with troubleshooting electronics.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
If the socket terminals are marked - use a piece of wire (a straightened paper clip) to jump A9 to A8 - that should close the solenoid and make the starter motor run - if that works, the check for 12v on pin B9 and check continuity to ground on B8 - if no voltage on B9, check the fan circuit breaker - if no ground on B8, the problem is in the ECU - take it to a dealer for diagnosis

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the socket terminals are marked - use a piece of wire (a straightened paper clip) to jump A9 to A8 - that should close the solenoid and make the starter motor run - if that works, the check for 12v on pin B9 and check continuity to ground on B8 - if no voltage on B9, check the fan circuit breaker - if no ground on B8, the problem is in the ECU - take it to a dealer for diagnosis
I jumped A9 to A8 and was able to start the machine. Looks to be no continuity to ground at B8...just my luck. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I jumped A9 to A8 and was able to start the machine. Looks to be no continuity to ground at B8...just my luck. Thanks for the help.
Your luck has nothing to do with it - Polaris designed it that way

1 - 18 of 18 Posts