Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I currently have a 2019 sportsman 850 running a 2” lift, raked arms, HL axles, custom airdam primary and 31” system 3 tires. Along with a number of other unnecessary things 🤦🏼‍♂️. I recently broke my reverse chain trying to pull a buddy out of a very bad situation. I’ll never pull in reverse again. Anyway, I’m getting ready to pull the trans apart to replace and upgrade the reverse chain. Was looking to possibly do some more gear reduction while in the case. My airdam clutch gives me a decent gear reduction but wouldn’t mind another 10-15%. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Let us know what you come up with - I do not know of any source for different ratio gears and love to fine one - it a really niche market, but a good machine shop should be able to cut a set for a few thousand dollars - once the dimensions and tooling is assembled, they could make additional sets for as little as $1000 per set

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another source tells me that ranger diesel main gears and chain will give me a 28% reduction. That’s the route I’ll most likely be goin. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It will be interesting to know - if I was a Polaris dealer with multiple vehicles in various stages of repair, it would be simple to figure what would swap with what, but by the time a second one comes to me, the first one is done and gone.

·
Registered
2013 xp850
2 Posts
Go to babbits parthouse or someone else, parts catalog. And look parts for higlifter 850/1000, those have much more reduction than normal 850/1000xp. You need 2 sprockets and chain ofcourse, attleast. I think it was 20% difference on those.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’ve modified a 2015 transmission to match the gear reduction a highlifter has. I’ve actually swapped the transmission out for the stock one since I’m going back to stock, transmission is just sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What you need is the reverse shaft and helical gear from a High Lifter I think. Based on mud puppy's video of doing the opposite to his HL to make it like an XP.

He also mentions being able to replace the chain with the RZR one which is much stronger

YouTube mud puppy HL Sportsman High Range swap. You basically need to use the parts he is removing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m in the exact same boat as the OP. I’ve heard about the rzr chain also but can’t find any info online let alone someone who has done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m in the exact same boat as the OP. I’ve heard about the rzr chain also but can’t find any info online let alone someone who has done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I ended up ordering the HD reverse setup from Warranty Killer Performance. Then I ordered the diesel ranger final gears and silent chain from babbitts. Worked out awesome. Super heavy duty reverse setup now and a very noticeable gear reduction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts