Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm new to Polaris four wheelers. I've ridden allot, but I'm looking at buying a new Sportsman 850 for farm work and for play. But I was orginally going to buy a new sled... However, I want something that I can use year round. I'm looking at buying tracks for it, was just wondering how the front end/EPS holds up to the added weight from the tracks? Should I go with no EPS if I"m going tracks?

Thanks,
Buck

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: I don't think I would.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Hey all,
I'm new to Polaris four wheelers. I've ridden allot, but I'm looking at buying a new Sportsman 850 for farm work and for play. But I was orginally going to buy a new sled... However, I want something that I can use year round. I'm looking at buying tracks for it, was just wondering how the front end/EPS holds up to the added weight from the tracks? Should I go with no EPS if I"m going tracks?

Thanks,
Buck
Polaris sells tracks - I suppose they will warranty the ATV. I have a 550 with tracks - run them only in the winter for the last three years. No issues. I have an aftermarket EPS kit on mine. IMO - you can do damage to a non eps machine with tracks if you handle it improperly.
It's just like any other non-power steering machine or vehicle. Turns hard when you are not moving. If you are moving, it's not an issue.
Got to "pay to play" as the saying goes. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have voice may .02 before and will again. If you are going to buy a set of tracks to try and go where you normally take a sled your not going to be impressed. Just go to youtube and watch a few of the videos on there of the 850's with tracks and they get stuck very easily where a sled would have made it easy. So my advice to anyone considering buying tracks is go buy your new wheeler and take that 5grand you would dump on a set of tracks and go buy a very nice used sled that will go above and beyond what a tracked up wheeler will do.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have voice may .02 before and will again. If you are going to buy a set of tracks to try and go where you normally take a sled your not going to be impressed. Just go to youtube and watch a few of the videos on there of the 850's with tracks and they get stuck very easily where a sled would have made it easy. So my advice to anyone considering buying tracks is go buy your new wheeler and take that 5grand you would dump on a set of tracks and go buy a very nice used sled that will go above and beyond what a tracked up wheeler will do.
I agree completely. There are a couple of guys with tracks at the lake and they end up having to go on the paths cut by the sleds. Hung up is hung up whether you use tracks or tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts