Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying the cargo rack and a reciever hitch for my atv I noticed the reciever pin holes don't line up. After further stupidity of buying more hitches and trying them on my truck first I realized 2 things.
1. the 2" reciever bar is backwards on the chasis (hole is too far back)

2. the 1" reciever bar is turned 90 degrees so the pin goes up and down.

Now the 1" is useless for me to use when trying to use it on lawn equipment and the 2" if the redrill holes in the hitch itself would be so close to the end of the hitch I would be afraid if stress breaks.

The salesman is trying to contact polaris about the issue, But once a factor weld is made I am scared the welders at the dealership cant do a good weld.
As a steamfitter and around alot of welding I will scrutinize it and 1 lil booger will drive me crazy..... I hope since there only 4 hours on the thing they replace the entire thing. but I highly doubt it...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would say they most likely will fix it themselves. Since your a welder why not cut it off and buy your own 2 inch receiver and weld it on. Your welds will be stronger and look nicer anyways. Then your machine isn't gone for a week while they attempt to fix it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
After buying the cargo rack and a reciever hitch for my atv I noticed the reciever pin holes don't line up. After further stupidity of buying more hitches and trying them on my truck first I realized 2 things.
1. the 2" reciever bar is backwards on the chasis (hole is too far back)

2. the 1" reciever bar is turned 90 degrees so the pin goes up and down.

Now the 1" is useless for me to use when trying to use it on lawn equipment and the 2" if the redrill holes in the hitch itself would be so close to the end of the hitch I would be afraid if stress breaks.

The salesman is trying to contact polaris about the issue, But once a factor weld is made I am scared the welders at the dealership cant do a good weld.
As a steamfitter and around alot of welding I will scrutinize it and 1 lil booger will drive me crazy..... I hope since there only 4 hours on the thing they replace the entire thing. but I highly doubt it...
Take it back, show them and push for a new one.... Then wait and see what they can do for you! It's a Polaris "F-up", that should be covered under warranty!! "WORKMANSHIP ISSUE!!!"

I would say they most likely will fix it themselves. Since your a welder why not cut it off and buy your own 2 inch receiver and weld it on. Your welds will be stronger and look nicer anyways. Then your machine isn't gone for a week while they attempt to fix it.
That may be true. But to me it would be more of a "Fact Of The Matter" type deal...... Why should I fix it if it was suppose to be right when I bought it new!!!???

Take it back and see what they can do for you!! If they want to cut and weld inhouse, I'd shy away..... possibly. But likely I'd just take it home and drill a new hole and go about my day. Or maybe even see if some type of larger tube could be slid over original, fab'ed to fit adn welded on. Then drill my new hole.

My guess is they will offer a new frame? :dunno: But if they want to cut and weld..... I'd ask for say NO, and ask for money back adn just drill a new hole myself!!

Good Luck..... and let us know what they end up doing for you!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't welded in 15 years. I inspect the welders work when I'm on a weld job. The shop where I got mine is pretty busy and I think it will be gone longer than a few weeks. Regardless for the price I paid for it , it should be fixed back like factory .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even in 15 years not welding, you probably no more than 99% of dealers and there welding expertise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it's been so long since I got it resolved.
The ATV was designed around a certain hitch, its fits perfectly. Then I lucked out at harbor freight and found one with a big drop.
The shop guy took my rack home and used his drill press and made a new hole. All is well except I don't have enough time to go riding, Its getting to be busy season at work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts